DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

wild thing!

Posted by SB1-687534 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 9 years ago

I'd a;so like to say 'well done' to you both for doing such a fantastic job and sacrificing your money too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SB1-687534 - 9 years ago

Thanks Jane, That is a good idea, will try it out today - of course the locals already think that I am totally mad!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jane Robinson-673500 - 9 years ago

Three weeks isn't very long to get him sorted....Where are you based?

Sorry no image available

Try sitting with your back to him whilst he eats and just keep sitting there don't look at him..... its important that he makes the first move and comes to you....Just ignore his barking and sit it out ...you may have to sit there sometime but he has to learn from the start who's is the pack leader.....

Sorry no image available
Posted by ade-661265 - 9 years ago

What a lovely story jane well done

Sorry no image available
Posted by SB1-687534 - 9 years ago

Yes, I have been doing that but can,t get near enough to catch him! 3 feet away at this stage but he gets hysterical and barks like a deamon if I try to get closer. I have sedatives from the vet. and will give them to him later in the week. Once he is calm I will catch him and then I wonder if I will have time, in 3 weeks to make a difference, He is quite brave, he chased an adult dog away when it came to see me feeding him today, so I have high hopes. So many poor wee things left alone, it is so unfair and there is only so much one can do. I got a worm dose for him and our ferrel cat and the sedatives and it cost €18.50. The vets charge a bomb here!

Sorry no image available

We took in a feral puppy at the beining of this year ....the poor soul was in one hell of a state you could count very rib....He spend all his time hiding in a dark corner....he was even to frightned to go near his food at first if I was near him....I used to put his food down stand or sit a little way from him with my back to him....Through food I was able to gain his trust...after a couple of weeks he would lay on the kitchen floor whilst we had our meal then he would sit for the left overs then go back into hiding.....We also have young high energy bitch ...She has been briliant for Samson actually taught him how to be a dog. Ten months on and he's really made remarkable prgresss...He usually goes into hiding when someone comes to the house...But the other day we found him sat next to the table with our friends. This was a big step forwards for Samson as he's still very frightened of people...Lead walking is the next step he's just dreadful in built up area's everthing spooks him....Off the lead in the mountains he's now a dream....This summer we have fostered puppies awaiting new homes in Germany....Samson has helped us in giving these dogs a good start in live...he's a gentle giant and a great mother to the pups... He's still got some way to go yet but dogs like these need a great deal of pateints but rewards are well worth the effort. Just keep putting the food down a little nearer to you. Jane