DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Boat first-time

Posted by demetriosnicolaides - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by demetriosnicolaides - 8 years ago

Thank you for this information.

I have another query. The boat has been idle for a while so I will take the engine to be serviced and make sure there are no issues. Does anyone know where this can be done in limassol?

Sorry no image available
Posted by josigirl - 8 years ago

Yes you do need a licence for any boat. You need to pass a theory test and a practical test to gain your licence. It is recommended that you take a RYA power boat course to gain your RYA licence. You will receive good training, lots of advice.

Your boat will need to be registered and inspected. If you contact the Marine Office in Limassol they will tell you all you need to know.

jo

Sorry no image available
Posted by demetriosnicolaides - 8 years ago

Hi all.

Thank you for the information, but I was looking for a little more specifics. For starters, do I even need a license or can smaller boats be operated with no licenses?

Again, I'm looking at a 15ft rib. Not sure of the engine size.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GV1600 - 8 years ago

Dear Demetris,

dont get confused for simple things.

if you have the licence that you are allowed to handle a boat is very simple with the paper works.

you have to go to limassol and you will transfer the boat on you, and they are going to give you an appointment for viewing the boat . very simple.

There is something else that I want to say in order to answer in one guy that comment of your advertise.

dear sir, you mention above that is better to hire a boat instead of buying yours.

i definitely disagree because i am a cypriot 25 years old and i owned 2 boats and i am really happy because any time that i want i can get into my boat and go for a10 hours boat riding and i will pay only the petrol , because the tax of a year is peanuts. but if you want to hire one for ten hours the price that they are going to ask i am sure that it will be the 1/3 of the value of a small boat to buy .

if you owned the boat you can get with you some friends also (always in the legal side).

dear demetris hope you will find the perfect boat for your excursions but always be carefull with sea because is not a game

Sorry no image available
Posted by josigirl - 8 years ago

I have an excellent power boat for sale with a mooring in Paphos Harbour.

We can help with paperwork, licences etc. If you are really interested phone me on 96620721

Sorry no image available
Posted by shorznmoor - 8 years ago

Hi there,

Just a thought - but do you really need to own your own boat? Weigh up how often you are likely to use it against the outlay, running costs, maintenance issues and general hassle. You may find that it's more cost effective to hire one as and when you need it!

If you are looking for relaxation out on the water I would recommend buying a canoe instead!

Speaking as a UK powerboat instructor I'm dismayed by the standards displayed by many local owners of motorised craft. The machismo attached to owning a boat in Cyprus is at least as bad as the general attitude to driving on Cypriot roads! Steer clear.

Sorry no image available
Posted by thebyroms - 8 years ago

have a look at the Paphos sailing club
link is http://www.pisc.org.cy/
Jo

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jennygee-676884 - 8 years ago

Hi there

contact Bob Harvey 96452601 he does all sorts of courses for boats, driving etc. There isn't anything he doesn't know. Good luck J