DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

figure skating in cyprus

Posted by verena-705119 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by verena-705119 - 8 years ago

Hi all,
I've been a couple of times to the rink MyMall. I agree with achilleas that it is not suitable for medium to advanced figure skating. The major problem is the quality of the ice, though. I wish they had an ice-surfacing machine. In any case the people there are very kind a helpful..If there are more people that are medium to advanced figure skaters in Limassol, I would really like to meet them. Even though we could not skate together we could share opinions for our beloved sport.
Cheers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 8 years ago

I am sorry, but the rink in Limassol Mall is not exactly full sized for anything apart for kids to go round on. You cannot do any kind of figure skating and you certainly cannot play ice hocky there.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lubos - 8 years ago

No, Cyprus has ice rink 430 sqm in Limassol at Mall without puddle :-)
We have figure skating federation, teachers, Figure skating academy and ice hockey teams.

Sorry no image available

Discouraging is not the word I would use - sensible would be.
It would take a huge amount of electricity running 24 hours a day and a very sizeable investment in an insulated area to keep an ice rink of the size and quality you are describing cold and frozen.
In a country where the temperature can reach 47C and more, thats not a viable option - it is a very expensive luxury for a very few people and we need to be realistic.

Sorry no image available
Posted by verena-705119 - 8 years ago

Hello,
thank you both for your replies. Indeed the situation is discouraging. I am already in Cyprus and I will go and try the ice one of these days.

Sorry no image available

Cyprus does not have the ice rinks that you want and I doubt you will find any coaches. When the temperatures get as high as they do here in Cyprus in the summer it is a lot of expense for just a few people.

Sorry no image available
Posted by aunt - 8 years ago

We were here one time, yes it was very fun for my kid, but really ice is terrible with a puddle in the center. There is not a special car for resurfacing the ice. I saw coach with group of girls. This rink is only for entertainment.