DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Any cold starting tips for older vehicles?

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Yes I vaguely remember it,but I don't remember being cold,mind you I was 19yrs and had a young wife to keep my warm.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sussex Gay - 3 years ago

I bet you all remember that winter

I was minus 6 years old & on another contenient. So no, I do not remember that winter.

Sorry no image available
Posted by yorkie2-406437 - 3 years ago

Back in 1963 (I bet you all remember that winter) I had a big Humber diesel in Yorkshire,and every night I would run the engine a few minutes,then cover with a thick blanket,and every am,with the clutch depressed,it started every time,and not once did I forget to take the blanket off and put it back on the bed !

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

I think there is an element of truth in all the replies,when I had a ford 93e I use to put a paraffin green house heater under the sump at night & a blanket over the engine,I did the same with the 100e, the Anglia was better but still could be temperamental if not tucked up in a cosy garage,the first Transits had two batteries as standard to assist starting,later doing away with one of them,however I don't think it is the cold so much as the damp,after I fitted another battery to my smiley Transits never had a problem starting after that,try putting a set of jump lead from a spare battery when it is stubborn to start and see if that increases the cranking speed,if it does then a second battery may well be the way forward,Google transit bad starting,there are many owners with a similar problem,good luck.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by regwingfield@gmail.com - 3 years ago

an heavy old blanket over the engine of a night,(don,t forget its there in the morn) used to put an old oil lamp, or a extenshion lead a light, those were the days before Health& Safety Reg

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Having worked for a major engine manufacturer in the past I have seen the results of Easy Start use a few times - i wouldn't use it in this case except in a dire emergency.

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

On the question of adding petrol to the diesel.  This has nothing to do with cold starting - it is done in very cold weather to prevent the diesel in the tank from waxing and then bunging up the fuel system.  In cold countries the diesel at the pumps has an additional additive which will prevent waxing.  I used to drive an HGV to Bavaria and, in the winter, this could be a problem as, when it was very cold, there was not a high enough percentage of additive so we added about 10% petrol which solved the problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

I lived in Russia for a few years and in the lorry pounds the guards would maintain a large fire during the night and put a shovel full of hot ashes under the engine a couple of hours before the vehicle was due to be driven.  Also the batteries were taken off and kept warm.  I had my land rover in the pounds and that got the same treatment.

The lowest temperature we had at night was -43C and the vehicles always started often with the help of a start charger.  For milder climates a light bulb producing heat under the bonet will often

Sorry no image available
Posted by notagain! - 3 years ago

If you put some kind of metal reflective insulation (diy house insulation or the foil blankets they give runners) underneath the blanket I would have thought the engine will retain heat for a longtime.

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

I forgot to say that the plate of hot coals on the floor under the sump shall be used too,not forgeting to remove any cardboard or carpet first.

Bonne journey a tous ( have a nice day all of you)

Jamie xx