DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Any cold starting tips for older vehicles?

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

Nothing wrong with Easy Start or similar. Just remember, put your fag out and remove any trays of embers from under the engine! Thanks to my mate Bald Eagle for this advice.

Dave

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

Thank you kindly for all your posts,there was some very helpful information in there :-)

As always,I posted the same question on a couple of forums and looked at what advice the experts give and draw all the constants out of it.

These are the steps that I shall try first with prevention in mind-

It is majoritively said about easy start not being good,which is a statement that I will accept.

Reducing any un-needed power in the night will be followed.

Blanket over the engine,back to the wind and cardboard on the floor under the engine to help reduce floor coldness.

A depressed clutch appears logic to me,so will do that too.

All other info has been digested and stored,and appologies to anyone who's opinion differs from what I am doing.

Merci beaucoup a tous (Thanks to you all)

Love and light

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Fitter your wrong actually, by the way there is more than one makeup of Ether, however if what you and many other say is true don’t you think that the reputable companies that produce and sell this stuff would have been bankrupted with all the claims for new engines if not bankrupted they would of ceased to produce and sell the stuff, what you get in a can by the way is actually Diethhyl Ether mixed with a stabilizer and a propellant such as butane the reason it starts your engine (Safely) be it a petrol diesel or whatever is because it is a low temperature ignition sauce, go back 30 yrs and your easy start was likely petroleum ether which for the uninformed is a condensate of pentane and other alkanes this I grant you will maybe cause the damages you report but there is no scientific evidence to support this. For the record I never got this info from google, if however you can prove your claims are valid then I suggest you file your evidence with the manufactures and become a overnight millionaire

Sorry no image available
Posted by chef du gare - 3 years ago

If you can park up with the radiator grill out of the wind and a good heavy blanket over the whole of the engine bay, you should keep a lot of the heat in the engine. An old baking tin with hot embers from your stove, pushed under the sump first thing in the morning wil help preheat the engine. Dont for get to remove teh blanket before starting!!

CDG 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Easy- Start and similar products containing ether, damages engines - fact. It doesn't lead to connecting rods bending, it causes an uncontrolled ignition of previously injected fuel before the piston reaches TDC on the compression stroke. Hence the cylinder pressure is excessive and the usual result is that the top and sometimes the second compression piston ring cracks. This lowers the cylinder compression for subsequent starts so more and more Easy-Start is neeed to start the engine-that is where the story about engines getting "addicted" comes from. 

Some engines have come fitted with an ether start system, usually for starting in seriously cold arctic temperatures, - it's not the same as Easy-Start, the fluid used is an inhibited ether that doesn't cause a violent cylinder explosion with the resultant damage, and the quantity used is metered, not just wacked in from an aerosol.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

Where on earth do you guys get off with your advice on easy start, it is perfectly safe and will not harm your engine in any way at all it is the perfect solution for lazy starting engines, the rumors surrounding easy start or start up or whatever else it may be called are all groundless, whoever heard of a mechanical engine developing a addiction do they get cold turkey when you wean them off ??? no of course not,  what people if they knew anything about what they are talking about should say is that there motors are in such poor condition they won’t start at all without easy start.  in a lot of the really cold countries manufacturers factory retro fitted special connections for easy start to be used easily, older JCB’s used to come from the factory with something similar, if used correctly easy start or whatever will not harm your engine in any way at all, its simple its cheap to use and its safe so your best option and answer to the original post is use easy start, its available in many of the agricultural shops  including
Espace Emeraud

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

I bought an electrical engine preheater that plumbed into the heater circuit and supplied 2Kw of power into the cooling water system using an inbuilt pump. You just had to remember to have the heater set to hot to let the water circulate!

Similat to this one.

http://www.enginepreheater.co.uk/

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by handy--man@hotmail.co.uk - 3 years ago

Ok Jamie, here my diagnosis from afar after reading all posts.

One of the ‘leisure?’ batteries is dead. This will flatten the other when standing.

When running the alternator will not have the power to fully charge the main starting battery as it struggles with the dead leisure battery sucking the charge along with its (now) flat companion.

Disconnect the leisure batteries for a few days and if all is well you will need to get someone ‘knowledgeable’ to test for the dud battery.

And if that doesn’t sort it, go down the pub.     

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

I really would not advise adding petrol to your diesel. One additive you could consider is an injector cleaner, having your injectors clean and working correctly will help the engine start more easily. I have also seen a hairdrier or electric paint stripper used to heat the air intake too, safer than naked flames.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Martin King-393934 - 3 years ago

Buy a newer French Diesel engine?