DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Anyone passed their motorcycle test here?

Posted by Fingers crossed - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

I'm sorry. I somehow ended up replying to another posters concern regarding their GB licence - oops !
Sorry. As you already have a French licence then it will simply be updated after you pass your test.

Best wishes, and again, sorry for the mistake.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fingers crossed - 3 years ago

Thanks Bandy, make you right, but I already have a French licence so not sure what you mean by "exchange" ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

I didn't speak french brilliantly when I did my 'Code' exam (the theory part of the test), but doing the code improved my grasp of the language no end.  My advice is 'dive in'. You'll only do yourself a power of good - both with regard to the language and also a better undersanding of French traffic regulations.

The course lasts quite a while so by the time you get to do the exam answering the questions should be second nature. It's just a series of questions with multiple choice answers.

As you're already familiar with two wheels you shouldn't find the practical test a problem.

Can't advise about current costs, but just pop into your local driving school and they'll tell you.

The licence will obviously need to be exchanged, but this can be sorted easily enough. I'm sure that the driving school will hep.

Good luck.

Sorry no image available

Got my hopes up there BartyB, Checked on back of licence, I passed my car test in '81, but only have AM & A1 entitlement on bikes : (

I enjoy riding the 125 around town etc, would probably keep it for this anyway, just like something with a bit more poke when I go out on a ride, get's a bit frustrating when you get stuck behind stuff and haven't quite got enough to get past safely.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Most road tester's verdict on the twin-front-wheel scooters is that they are an absolute hoot and will run rings around most  "proper motorcycles" in an urban environment and are just about impossible to lose the front end even on wet cobbles ,slimy roundabouts or even loose gravel.

A good road test here:-

http://www.2commute.co.uk/2014/05/16/road-tests/first-test-piaggio-mp3-500-sport/

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

I should double check your French license. If you passed your UK test before 1986 then there's  a good chance that when you changed your license you'll have group "A" unrestricted.

Sorry no image available

If you have taken and passed your motorbike test in the uk then my understanding is that it would be valid here. I do have a French car licence but wish to attempt my bike test here but think my limited French language skills may hamper me. The obvious answer would be to improve my French but for me this is a slow gradual process  : (

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Interesting!

Never gave that a thought, I had a Portugese Yam XT600, in Portugal, on a UK licence (car and bike), so, can you not ride a 'bigish' bike in France on a UK licence?

Sorry no image available
Posted by 001sugarplum - 3 years ago

That's because they aren't and never will be motorbikes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

If you are riding a 125 on a car licence be aware that you also  can legally ride one of the big scooters that have twin front wheels as they are classed as a three-wheeler.

They go up to about 400 cc and are  as capable as a mid-sized bike.

Peugeot and Piaggio are the main players at the moment, Yamaha will be joining the party shortly.