DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Applying for a French Driving Licence

Posted by Durham Lass-390934 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 15)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 4 years ago

Sorry but you don't have a choice. The law changed some time back and you have to renew your licence in your country of residence. If you are a French resident you cannot use a UK address to renew a driving licence.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 4 years ago

My replacement Frech licence (plasticised format) has a validity of 15 years only.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 4 years ago

don't know your circumstances but if you have a UK Address you're husband  will automatically receive a 3 year renewal application together with a self cert medical form. So once again if you already have a UK address there's no need to do anything. You can apply for a French licence which is valid for life here, but bear in mind if you should decided to return to the UK on a permanent basis your French licence will only be valid for a 3 year period after that you will have to apply for another UK licence.

Sorry no image available
Posted by woody-383477 - 4 years ago

My husband and I both now have French licences.   In both cases it was very straightforward,  just do a double check that you have all the relevant information.    We retained all our previous classes with no problem but if you need to have a licence to drive HGV or something similar you need a medical.  All the info. is here on AI

Sorry no image available
Posted by Huey-407259 - 4 years ago

I suggest if you are residents in France, it would be dificult to renew anyway. (unless you lie!)