DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

BMW motorcycle mechanic

Posted by stumpy2733 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Hi, the 1150 is much easier I think as access easy on the conventional BMW layout . It is 25 years since I looked after a few BM's so not in my ballpark of current knowledge !

I spent 17 years as a Service manager  and MOT tester in UK , primaraily in a Honda main dealership, so a lot of time spent checking, but rarely adjusting clearances - most larger bikes do hiigh mileages with very little change if ridden at touring speeds . A friends Honda CB900F was religiously checked at service book intervals, no need for any shim adjustment in 30K miles !

I am in Seglien  Geoffreycox885@gmail.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by stumpy2733 - 3 years ago

Sorry, just re read your reply. You are close by. Give me your contact details please Geoff.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stumpy2733 - 3 years ago

Thanks Geoff. Is that for the 800. Have only just got that. But have had tappets done on my 1150 before by a independent mechanic in UK, and it didn't seem that involved (well to somebody who knows what they are doing - I limit myself to oil changes etc). Are you close by? P.m.your details, always good to know. David.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Hi < i have looked into the details of this job and as usual a fair bit of dismantling to access the camshaft cover , also they use shim adjustment so if needing adjustment you would need a selection of shims, otherwise you measure clearances, then try to obtain some shims if neeeded. Recommendation is also to replace the cover gasket when disturbed as this can be a source of leaks . 

I note that some riders have not needed any adjustment in well over 40,000 Km as well . 

So, sadly, it seems a case of expensive dealer involvement, sorry I cannot help .

Geoff, nr Guemene, Honde registered mc service technician ( retired )