DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

breathalysers in cars

Posted by rosa-462319 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 4 years ago

It's all irrelevent really, but having  a second could allow your passenger to drive you home if he were tested  O.K. (supposing you had just left the same party together), as opposed to paying for your vehicle to be towed away as well!    I was breathalysed at 06.00 hrs very recently!

Sorry no image available
Posted by grumposgirl - 4 years ago

its correct , there is no fine but do you really want to annoy the gendarme and have him look for something to fine you for or just keep you waiting for ages and ages. Its so cheap to buy one , why debate it ? agree with it or not as the case may be but it is law at the end of the day.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 4 years ago

For the benefit of 'Mervander' who has twice wrongly claimed that one must carry two, the law - alrerady quoted on this thread - states, 'l'obligation de posséder strong>un éthylotest'.

When I was at school 'un' meant 'one'  and  'deux' meant 'two'. Please check the facts before posting. See here:-

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F19459.xhtml

Also the GD's cannot fine you as there is no punishment for not having one !

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 4 years ago

Be a little hard though, as there is definitely no penalty for any Grumpy Gendarme to fine you with......

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 4 years ago

I bought one and was annoyed to see that it had a very short expiry date so I scratched the date off it! It will remain in my car forever.(I don't drink, let alone drink and drive).

The way I see it is you might as well buy one (they're only about a euro) as it could one day avoid an over-zealous gendarme who's having a bad day finding something to fine 'le rosbif' for!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Football mad - 4 years ago

Mervander I think you are wrong, Can you show the law that requires 2 per car please?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mervander - 4 years ago

Hi, the law actually says you need 2 per car. You can buy them online on ebay for just over £ 1 for a pack of 2.

Pierre

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

And there is always the point that there was never a law saying you have to use the things anyway, just carry them!

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 4 years ago

When I eventually managed to obtain some of these devices we decided to test one.  It was well within the use by date but a friend who had drunk much more than is good for him blew into the tube as instructed and he came out safe to drive.  No-one believed the result and they walked home.

Perhaps it is results like this that persuaded the French to drop the penalities if you are caught without the testing kits.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 4 years ago

I bought myself an electronic one as used by the UK army. NO I do not drink to the limit using it! Last night we went to a friends party and I was driving. One can of 4.3% beer and one glass of red wine. Waited 20 minutes after last drink and my reading was 0.095, limit 0.19. Waited 10 minutes and re tested 0.090 so going down! Drove home safely.

Dave