DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Buying a car in finistere

Posted by ronsmum - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Cars in France do seem more expensive than UK due to the dynamics of the market - UK a much bigger company car sector.  The other issue is the money illusion caused by the exchange rate.

I cannot concieve maintenance levels are any better/ worse than UK for used vehicles. That said it seems a focus on French makes due to their ubiquity is sensible as you can get servicing anywhere.

The key issue in the used market seems the lack of choice due to the limited popoulation of Brittany 2.7m people versus the 20m for South East UK.  This limited used choice looks to push us to a new vehicle. Renaults link with Nissan means some commonality of engines and components is now reaping results in reliability. No I'm not associated with them in anyway.

Bon chance

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashore-10052757 - 3 years ago

I have never been in the market to buy a second hand car in France but in the time that I've been here I have seen lots that have appeared to be good value. I've not actually looked into how much I could save by searching for a bargain in the UK but I do know that the process of going there, buying a car, getting it road legal in the UK, paying for ferries then changing the headlights and registering it in France would certainly be too much hassle and expense to consider. Even if I did manage to save a bit of money I'd still be stuck with a RHD car in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ronsmum - 3 years ago

Yes i think as you say its swings and roundabouts re depreciation.. there seems to be good prices to be had on new french cars.. Think ill stick to one thanks for all your replies much appreciated

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

I think the good exchange rate wipes out any savings you are likely to make on a new car. Second hand cars here do tend to be a higher price here but it is swings and roundabouts, you can expect a better price when you sell it. Have a good look at cars from French manufacurers, I have found them good value, a little cheaper on parts and servicing and easy to buy/sell. As for condition of used cars I think like the UK there, are good and bad owners Some people love their cars and others see them as just a means to get from A-B.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Exmansworthy-10052202 - 3 years ago

DN...road tax = vignette was abolished in France some 20 years ago, there is none.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 3 years ago

We recently bought a new Dacia.

Obviously they are a cheap car but struck us as good value.

Normally they are not discounted by dealers but we got a small 3,5% discount because we ordered it whilst at an agricultural show.

The price worked out just cheaper than the UK list price working on that days exchange rate. albeit the French price was keys in hand ie road tax and registration paid, and I do not know what the UK add on would have been for that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fazabelle56 - 3 years ago

How can garage charges in France be lower when there seems to be no such thing as aftermarket part replacement? Everything is OEM with the inflated cost that brings. A friend has just had a new clutch fitted on a Nissan Navarra, cost 2400euros! Same job in the UK would be what, £800 tops?

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

You should save quite a bit as rate is good ,but around realistically what it should be.

Sorry no image available

the money I use will be sterling sent to fr

Sorry no image available

Thankyou that is so helpful I'm on it now