DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Buying and registering a uk car.

Posted by lilys-405289 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 2 years ago

I agree, I am long past argueing the toss with people who think the laws are there for everyone else but when someone asks a question because they presumably want to do the right thing, I am happy to point them in the right direction.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 2 years ago

This thread will end up like the dozens of others on the same topic.  Let it die in peace.  We all know the law but some will believe it doesn't apply to them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 2 years ago

JohnP I totally agree with you, yes that's the law but there are an unbelievable amount of Brits that live here and  are currently driving on UK plates and have been for months If not years, and they refuse to accept the law as it stands, one of the big problems as I see it is that more and more insurance companies are prepared to insure vehicles abroad for extended periods, which begs the question what happens in the case of a serious accident.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 2 years ago

If you are resident in France and you import a car from another EU country you have one month to register it in France. That is not an option, it is the law. The only exception is if you have a problem registering your vehicle once you have begun the process(ie; you need single vehicle approval). If you are visiting France, ie; you have a holiday home here, you can keep a foreign registered vehicle up to a maximum of 6 months during which time it must be fully legal in it's country of registration.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brionybob - 3 years ago

Not everyone in this world always obey the law, unfortunately

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

They've come over to mow the grass at their holiday homes?

Sorry no image available
Posted by lilys-405289 - 3 years ago

Ok, well my main question would be then, why do i see ALOT of uk reg cars in france when i thought the law was that if you live here for more than 6 months you have to re-register your car? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by lilys-405289 - 3 years ago

Ok, well my main question would be then, why do i see ALOT of uk reg cars in france when i thought the law was that if you live here for more than 6 months you have to re-register your car? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

No need for a CT for registration in France if the car you are buying has a valid Uk MOT less than 6 months old.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Laurie Driver - 3 years ago

Hello Lilys,

Can I ask you please, this car you're thinking of buying, is this a specific car you want to buy or is it just a right hand drive car that just happens to be for sale?

And is it in the UK or already in France?

Regards,

Laurie.