DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Buying the in The UK register where?

Posted by cambridge - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Undercover Reporter - 3 years ago

Oh and just to clarify, this is an opinion, you are free to do as you please.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Undercover Reporter - 3 years ago

I do a huge amount of km's through work so yes i over take on quite a regular basis, often lorries, often tractors, i can see what's coming down the road in the opposite direction, you cannot if in a RHD without crossing the middle line on the road which may well be too late if something like a motor bike or the likes is coming towards you.

If It was no different cost wise, safety wise then why don't people in europe flock to the UK to buy these cheaper RHD cars?  Strange one eh?

Sorry no image available
Posted by cambridge - 3 years ago

Excellent threads guys and gals!!!!

I am still looking to buy alot cheapoer even with the way the euro is at the mo!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

"So the dealer of the car its a 10 year old BMW, will fill out the V5 for me and he will send it off? Will the new V5 be sent to my address in france then? And I will need to send the export part off myself to the DVLA?"

No- do not rely on a dealer doing anything correctly once they have your money.

You must come away from buying the car with:-

1. The car.

2 A  signed and sealed sales invoice giving you the title to the car.

3. The MOT certificate if applicable

4. The whole of the V5, you can send off the exported slip back to the DVLA -Do not allow the dealer to send the V5 back to the DVLA you'll probably never see it again without a lot of argy-bargy getting a copy from the DVLA. (Don't forget-no V5 -no french registration!) 

I bought a car from a massive multi- franchise dealer in the UK midlands in July this year. Have the vehicle's details been recorded as exported on the DVLA database? No- because the dealer didn't send the export slip that I filled in at the point of sale off to the DVLA-do it yourself is my advice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bearfoot - 3 years ago

I bought a car in the UK recently and it took at least 2 weeks for the 'taxed' status to disapear from the DVLA computer. I have also driven lefthand drive cars and right hand drive cars in various countries for tha last 30+ years without any problems though toll boths can be annoying when on the opposite side. Never noticed my premium being loaded by Groupama in France. Be aware that if you import a car newer than about 2008 you might be liable for 'eco tax' on first registration here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

No, you can't register a car with the DVLA to an address outside the UK or at least that what they told me 3 or 4 years ago.

Sorry no image available

So the dealer of the car its a 10 year old BMW, will fill out the V5 for me and he will send it off? Will the new V5 be sent to my address in france then? And I will need to send the export part off myself to the DVLA?

thanks

Tim

Sorry no image available

I think people tend to believe what they hear from other mis informed people.

The classic one aswell is when I went to register out Swift caravan, some pratt in the prefectures office said we couldnt do it as it had the door on the wrong side..........I made him look like a fool in the end.

Next time your out on road count how many times you overtake. and come back to let us know.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

"People saying it is no different danger wise, how do you see around a 40 foot trailer on the back of a unit? "

If you don't know how to do that - don't do that!

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

You just don't overtake the 40ft trailer!  Perhaps need a bit more patience unlike the french!