DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Car Hire rule change.

Posted by GoneandDunit - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

GoneandDunit. I know what's coming in June, I'm talking about now. 

In June people 'might' have problems hiring a car outside the UK-I doubt it. None of my friends with the plastic licence have ever been asked to show the paper counterpart when hiring a car so why would it be sny different in from June.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

"

Holidaymakers will need to log on to the DVLA website (dvla.gov.uk), input their driving licence details and obtain a special code. This can then be handed to hire-car companies – who will be able to access the driver’s full licence details and penalty-point record.

However, the code will only work for 72 hours – meaning that travellers could be forced to obtain a second version if their holiday lasts for longer than three days."

The info is on the DVLA website.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tregadilet - 3 years ago

It would seem from what is posted here, if you have no proof with your license  of points or convictions on it or in some other  form, then you cant hire a car in UK (and the EU?) it would seem , I suppose that will mean people with a French photo license or EU  or any other country license wont be able to hire a car either. If this is the case, hiring a car at an airport will soon  be a thing of the past.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

I don't see anywhere in this that says there has been a change to car hire rules. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

"As of June 8, the paper portion of the driving license – which currently lists any fines and penalty points accrued by individual motorists – will cease to be valid."

Sorry no image available

You don't need to be asked in the UK-they're recorded on the old paper licence or on the paper part that goes with the plastic ID licence. As soon as you hand the document/card over, any points/endorsements  are there.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

I have always been asked for proof of points in the UK when hiring a vehicle. I have a UK licence. Second nature now!

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pushkin-986745 - 3 years ago

I have hired cars all over the world and never been asked for a "points history"  who invented this idea ??

Sorry no image available

NB:And those holding the (older style) UK paper licence are not affected.

Sorry no image available
Posted by flobeck - 3 years ago

We have just hired a car in Cyprus both used our french licences no problem at all.