DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

car insurance

Posted by Peter1948 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

Before going to the trouble of putting your 'car' on a trailer and towing it down to Bordeaux check the registration costs. The Eco charges can be prohibitive. I have seen posts where people have had to pay up to €10,000 on nearly new vans brought over from the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

It's a flat 70€ fee for temporary (WW) registration, we obtained one for our UK caravan to enable us to bring it from the UK and then later to DREAL for checking.

Normal registration is based on CV, age & possibly emmisions and can be expensive though.

We went through the same procedure as you for a Japanese grey import some years ago, DRIRE, as it was then, gave us a document that said the registration process was in the system & our insurance company accepted that.

We had the noise test in Lannion, 2 police cars, one police van, 8 Police officers and they shut down a dual carrageway for about an hour while they checked our car and one other, talk about a French farce.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Peter1948 - 3 years ago

Hi thanks for that I was told by Generali that because we have a large powerfull car , a v8 Landcruiser it would cost hundreds for these plates. Have you yourself got these plates , Peter 

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

Go and get a ww number from your Prefecture it costs about 70€ and is valuable 1 month that number plate being French you can insure it anywhere  ( I have done so loads of times ) you only need the old vehicle registration document to get the ww number

Sorry no image available
Posted by jandave - 3 years ago

Hi Peter,

Why not find somebody to lowload your vehicle, would probably be easier to do it that way than any other.If your vehicle fails the noise test at least you can bring it home, if it failed you would be really stuck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

We recently insured a UK registered car with MMA  before it was imported- then went across and brought it over. MMA would only insure it for 1 Month and told us if there was a problem with the immatriculation they would extend the insurance as long as they had an excuse note from the prefecture. Perhaps you should have got some sort of paperwork from the prefecture to get the insurance extended?  

Sorry no image available
Posted by sanjon-627351 - 3 years ago

Hi Peter1948,

I think because you've tried to be brief you've left out a lot of the detail of the story that might enlighten us to exactly what your / the insurers' problem actually is but I'll copy below a few of the things you've said and if you can clarify the questions your comments raise for me it might give us a better idea of what it is you need to do.

You said,

"One year hence there decision is yes it does. The car is no longer insurable" ......................

from this, am I right in thinking that after your car arrived here in August 2014 Generali insured your car fo a period but that now, because you've been kept waiting so long for a decision from DREAL that the insurance has expired and Generali will now not insure it again?

If so, can I ask how long was it insured with Generali and did they cancel it or did it simply expire?

You said,

"there is only one element that is required and that is the noise pollution"...................

Have you informed Generali and other insurers that this has been the problem and showed them documentation from DREAL to prove this?

You said,

"hence the need to get insurance for a short period" .........................

are you asking for short term insurance or for a full year?

You said,

"Generali cannot do it because of new guidelines  stopping the insurance requests on foreign vehicles".......................

with these guidelines possibly being those issued during the last couple of years that insist insurers do not insure foreign registered vehicles for an unlimited amount of time, can I ask whether you've enquired whether Generali or others will insure your car once you do get it registered in France?

But if you can't get insurance at all prior to getting French plates on your car have you thought about hiring a car transporter and taking it down that way? Expensive I know but if it's the only way then maybe you'll have to think about it.

But if you can clear up some of the points raised above it might help us offer a solution.

Regards,

John.

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 3 years ago

Would it be possible to get a temporary WW registration & insure the car on that?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Peter1948 - 3 years ago

Many thanks for your speedy reply, we returned back to Bretagne from Australia ( after 8 years working over there ) and fetched my Vehicle back along with all our worldly goods, the vehicle does have a controll technique cert and a partial conformity  certificate  , there is only one element that is required and that is the noise pollution which  means we will have to drive down to Bordeaux , hence the need to get insurance for  a short period to have this last element  carried out, our former insurance agents being Generali cannot do it because of new guidelines  stopping the insurance requests on foreign vehicles and the other Insurance companies we have approached  cannot give us insurance for one reason or another.  Once we get the final DREAL requirement sorted we will then be applying for French plates ( At the moment we have Australian plates ) cheers and regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

Peter,

Peter,

You could try contacting the test centre in Bordeaux to ask them what to do. You can't be the only one who's ever had or has this problem!

Failing that, when you say you've imported this vehicle, do you mean you've brought it over from the UK? If you haven't sent back the V whatever it is now to the DVLA, perhaps you could take it back to the UK, MOT it and insure it, then bring it back to restart the process?  Just a thought.

However, by 'a non-European car' do you mean the car was registered somewhere that isn't in the EU, or that the car itself is a model not sold in Europe?

More information could be helpful.

janet