DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Car insurance for UK car

Posted by expoexpat - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

Is it a company car provided to you in your role as a cross border worker? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

It is quite simple really. A UK registered car cannot legally stay in France for more than six months continueously assuming the owner is resident in the UK. If the owner is resident in France the vehicle must be registered within a month onto French plates except in certain circumstances where an extension may be granted. In the case of a UK lease car, the owner presumably is based in the UK so I would say the 6 month rule applies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

If you are a French resident  and you are driving a UK registered car apart from the initial period that you are allowed to re register the vehicle then you are definitely ilegal.  Also  if you are a French resident  driving a UK registered vehicle how do you obtain UK tax and MOT if you are a French resident and using a UK address for tax MOT and insurance that's ilegal too.  hope you are never involved in a serious accident. The law is clear on this subject.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

Not if you're French resident.

Sorry no image available
Posted by benjamin1-437865 - 3 years ago

Hi 

If you happen to be an old person like me ie over 50 then you can get unlimited european cover from Saga insurance in the uk.

Sorry no image available

The link I attached was posted by Thimbleworm on 26 November 2014 in Cars, bikes and driving.

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

Sprossie....this is linked to another question the OP asked about moving to live in France permanently & obtain a Carte Vitale...you have only joined in the latest bit of the questions & answers.

Suziepops....your link is dead!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sprossie - 3 years ago

I know its hot and the heat can affect people but no where in the op can I see where they say they live in France, just that the lease car is kept in france and they travel around the EU quite a bit. Will this make a difference? 

Sorry no image available

Why not read this thread.   http://brittany.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/227504  Andrew Copeland is only a broker.  If you live in France permanently you must have French insurance.  No grey areas I'm afraid.  Your headlights will have to be changed and you can't do that with a lease car!

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

It is illegal to live in France permanently & keep/drive a vehicle on UK reg. 

Top row above Home...Directory....Information read that which may help you to clarify several of your quieries.