DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Car registration

Posted by steve hall - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian61-782152 - 4 years ago

Hello LRV24,     If you open the link I posted and scroll about half way down, under the title starting "Cas particulier (installation en France....)" which is for people making a permanent move of their principal residence to France, it states : "votre véhicule sera admis en franchise de droits et taxes" and then gives the conditions that must be met. It follows on saying what documents must be produced.

The above could not be applied to "Pitstop" as he was importing a van rather than a car.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pitstop-401534 - 4 years ago

Hi Steve

I imported my Transit Tourneo from Guernsey in 2009 , we did everything at the prefecture and impots in Pontivy the van was 9.5 year old and there was nothing  ( or nearly nothing ) to pay , 

The point is it was all done locally in Pontivy , with no visit to Customs , only the impot , i have never been advised of this step at the prefecture and have registered vehicles from Guernsey without this step

hope this helps

Ian Torode

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

Which part says that Brian61?

Sorry no image available
Posted by steve hall - 4 years ago

Many thanks for all of the helpful responses.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian61-782152 - 4 years ago

If you are making a permanent move to France you will probably be allowed to import your car without paying any taxes. Obviously conditions apply, they are given in this document.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 4 years ago

I think that is likely to be the form you need.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 4 years ago

Link to the declaration form below

https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/cerfa_10070_02.do?jeton=EnBV5wFL5e75GgFL8VEdfzvg

Declaration of import of personal posession, from outside EU

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

I can't help you with the specific paperwork but, when importing a vehicle from outside the EU, you will have to pay tax on it. If it's not worth much there won't be much to pay.