DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Carte Gris / trailers / insurance

Posted by Motonomad - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kingly - 4 years ago

RtB - sorry if you thought my attitude flippant - not my intention ( in fact against my religion to be boastful ! )

Sorry no image available
Posted by RAY THE BASS - 4 years ago

A rather flippant attitude Kingsley!  If you regularly carry 1000kg in the trailer then you have broken the law, even if it was registered at 750kg. If you had an accident with this amount of weight in the trailer then there could be implications regarding insurance payout.

Many people buy these Lider twin axle trailers and then regularly overload them. They look like they should be able to carry large weights but if you check the rating plate it will show the maximum gross weight as 500kg (or 750kg with its own registration). If you then deduct the unladen weight , which I think is around 160kg , then you can only carry safely and legally 340kg for a 500kg load.

I suggest that you check your rating plate and if you are going to carry the sort of weights that you say you do buy a correct  trailer for the job. You can buy similar looking Lider trailers that will carry heavier loads but they will need brakes and obviously will cost more money. Horses for courses is the phrase I'm afraid.

Regards, Ray.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lumbersexual-992851 - 4 years ago

Not a wise thing to boast about overloading your unbraked trailer.

In the event of even a simple accident your may find your trailer, it's load and your vehicle including ALL it is carrying impounded for weighing.

Simple roadside fines for overloading are inconvenient but in the event of an accident and a possible tribunal the fines are punishing.

If your carrying sand for instance, then the loading ticket/receipt will be asked for as evidence.

Your trailer also needs to be insured with the carte gris and insurance documents carried in the tow vehicle.

Jack

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 4 years ago

Kingly, I would respectfully suggest that a salesman probably working on commision is maybe not the most reliable source of legal information. However as you bought the trailer in France it should not be a problem to register it and make everything legal. I would advise you to check  your insurance policy too as most motor policies only cover you to tow trailers up to 500Kg. larger trailers have to be insured in their own right

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lumbersexual-992851 - 4 years ago

Afternoon,

10 Euro Dave Kingly is on the wrong side of the law 'again'

Above or equal to 500kg PTAC trailers require their own carte gris.

http://www.carte-grise.org/mode_emploi_carte_grise_remorque.htm

Jack

Sorry no image available

You are probably correct RtB - although have carried over 1000 kg in it !

Sorry no image available
Posted by RAY THE BASS - 4 years ago

Kingly,

I think if you look closely at your 'rating plate' you will find that the 750kg figure is for the maximum weight that the axle(s) is/are rated to carry. The figure for the maximum gross weight , or PTAC, of the trailer will be shown seperately. If it was sold to you by a dealer new as not needing registration then that should be shown as 500kg. If it is shown as 750kg then the dealer is at fault and you should contact them straight away to rectify this.

Regards, Ray.

Sorry no image available

The ' dealership ' I bought it from in Ploermel ( on the industrial estate nr the tip ) must be breaking the law then ! ( Lider 4 wheel trailer )

Sorry no image available
Posted by teddyruxspin - 4 years ago

mines 750kg and that got its own reg & insurance

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 4 years ago

Kingly was definitely wrongly informed, as shown by the previous posters link an quote.

A 750kg trailer must have a Carte Grise, therefore its own number plate, and insurance.