DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Citroen C4

Posted by lakeman-415065 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lakeman-415065 - 3 years ago

I have been advised that it is unsafe to use the USB socket for this purpose so project abandoned.

Posted in case anyone else thought of trying this.   Thank you all for your interest and good advice.

Sorry no image available

I have been advised that it is unsafe to use the USB socket for this purpose so project abandoned.

Posted in case anyone else thought of trying this.   Thank you all for your interest and good advice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Just an aside,,,Sea shore, as you say, a load!, living on a boat, I gave up trying to keep a fridge going,(not a freezer) genny for min 3 hours per day, solar panels, no hope!

Sorry no image available

Thank you Sea Shore, a very good point.  Perhaps I will stick to the solar charger only, if that is OK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sea shore - 3 years ago

Check the fuse on the USB circuit, cool boxes have quite a load.

Sorry no image available

I started this thread to find out if I could operate a solar powered battery charger  with the doors shut and the ignition OFF.  The the absence of powered auxilliary sockets seemed to preclude this.  I am pleased to report that I have cracked this problem (I think / I hope).  The clincher is that the USB socket housed in the central storage box is live, i. e. connected to the battery.  Utilising about six quids worth of adapters I think I can have my charger working as required.  I am not taking power from the system and only putting in a low level of charge so I cannot see any problems.  I will also be able to leave my chiller box running when away from the car; and this time I will not leave it overnight as I did in my last car completely flatting the battery.  As soon as Amazon deliver the goods I will be able to test the system.

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

John P - the ZX was a 1990's car with fairly basic electronics.  If you had experienced the Grand Espace circa 2003 I think you would have a different opinion !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

As you mention the purpose of having a live aux socket is to charge the battery of a new vehicle. One might like to question the viability of this in the first splace.

New vehicles do not require trickle charge unless left for many weeks unused. Even then the battery can last well in excess of 4yrs.

The comments on electrical components of verious manufacturers are hilarious. As info many parts of many marques all come from a single source provider eg: Fuel injection - Bosch, while often the name on the outside is different the gutsof the design are single sourced. Better to reflect on independent analysis like JD power to show the relative reliabilities.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

We have all heard stories about various marques of cars over the years. I have had over 30 cars in my lifetime and since I have been in France, I have had a Peugeot, two Renaults and a Citroen all of which have been excellent. My present car a Citroen ZX estate I have had for 9 years, I paid 1000€ for it, and it has now done 464.000 Km and has never let me down. i would say that is cheap reliable motoring but we all have to speak as we find.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sea shore - 3 years ago

Well that was a rant and a half. Somebody is showing their ignorance. If I was to start listing the shortcomings of various Fords over the years it would be a long post!