DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Classic English Cars Austin Maestro 1;3

Posted by enthuisiasm - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 4 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, lucky you. 

Lets adopt toot a classic if we see one along the way. Show admiration, be proud 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 4 years ago

Where are the TVR, LOTUS, etc companies owners?

I am the proud owner of an R 11 Classic this year :-) , can,t see it attracting crowds at the rallies,

Oh well it gets me to Super U.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 4 years ago

I too had many British cars over many years. We used to make the best cars in the world. We designed, built and sold them througout the world. what I found sad is that British marks like Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Land Rover etc were all hived off and we now build them for foreign owers and all the profits go abroad. The only true British car now I think is the Morgan and to add insult to injury I believe MG now belongs to the Chinese.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 4 years ago

I think you maywell be right RAY THE BASS,the more I think about it the more good cars spring to mind,I had a red Triumph stag,great car never had many problems with it,A40 Austin farina another trouble free car,Morris Oxford estate good car as long as you had a good supply of milk bottle tops for the battery terminals.I even had a Bond 3 wheeler soft top,had to lift the bonnet to kick start the engine,I was the bee's knees in that.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RAY THE BASS - 4 years ago

The list of genuine british classic from the 1930s to the 1970s is extensive. I have just done a quick assessment in my head and when I got to about 75 different cars I stopped. Nobody else in the world made 'sports cars' like British sports cars. In fact, nobody else in the world made sports cars!

The Mini was and still is the most 'iconic' car ever designed. The front wheel drive, transverse engine and wheel at each corner has been copied in 90% of modern cars.

Everybody seems to 'knock' British cars as being unreliable rot boxes. This was simply not true.

Regards, Ray.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 4 years ago

Not too sure if there are many British cars that could be classed as classic,the Maestro van I had was like being push down hill in a dustbin half full of gravel,it was horrendous vehicle,in my opinion the Morris minor is a classic,Rover v8 & later the Mini,but there again all had their problems,but at the time they were acceptable,maybe because we knew no better,a friend of mine use to take delivery of a new Austin Princess every couple of years and swore by them,but there again it seemed the sun always shone in those days.

Sorry no image available

Ray, you only live once, go for it. In  Brittany there are 'hands on mechaics' Anglo info. readers are always willing to recommend good mechanics!!!!.    There is a WEB site that stock parts for all the old British cars. .

Sorry no image available

I very nearly bid on a Montego diesel estate recently on E-Bay. It was really nice and very cheap. Wish that I had bid now as my Mk 3 Golf diesel estate is getting near it's use by date. The Montego had the ultra reliable and economical Perkins diesel and was a good estate design. The only weak point they had was front wheel bearings. Should have bought it.  :O(

Regards, Ray.

Sorry no image available

Nice one Ray and JohnP

Growing up in an environment of the World Beaters and Classics.- Massey Ferguson, Standard Works Canley, Torrington Co  Renald Chains, Triumph Motor Bikes.  British technology, Quality, beautiful lines, designs. CLASSICS;

Sorry no image available

Britain still has a huge car building industry. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Land-Rover, Jaguar, Bentley etc.  Millions of cars are built in the UK. Because the parent company is not British does not mean the factories are not British. If you applied that criteria then the UK would only have had one manufacturer since the late sixties,  BLMC!!   Vauxhalls were owned by General Motors, Ford by Ford and the Rootes Group by Chrysler.

There was nothing really wrong with Maestros although I would not call them a Classic Car, except the Turbo version. Having said that, here in France anything built before 1985 is classed as a vehicule de collection and can be registered as such. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I have seen Reliant Rialtos and Robins described and sold as 'Classics'. Now, a Bond Bug is a different matter, in my opinion.  :O)

Regards, Ray.