DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Dead Garmin Nuvi SatNav

Posted by Iguana Rock - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Exmansworthy-10052202 - 3 years ago

AnneW....even "set up properly" it either took me thru vineyards or agricultural tracks or in the opposite direction to an autoroute in Germany & many kms added to my journeys. Munich was a nitemare at lunchtime traffic... "avoid autoroutes" so the option was thru the town & not on a ringroad. Then on the way home thru N. France it either wanted to take me right out in the country to avoid a medium size town or again to an autoroute in the opposite direction. Making shorter planning of 3 hours from B&B to finding lunch did not work any better either...I  loved my Navman & sadly the updated maps cost too much hence the Garmin which I hate, loathe & detest making any journey with...one day it will fly thru the sunroof!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by HAF-443346 - 3 years ago

I prefer to use google on my phone, no need to update, if there's a new road it's added to the map, apart from an awful French accent it's perfect.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AnneW-890676 - 3 years ago

On second Garmin now. Daughter has our first one. Both with lifetime updates for maps. No problems, never lost, never sent on funny routes. Set it up properly and bear in mind in England on motorways it will see 50 mph roadworks as slow moving traffic and try take you off the motorway to avoid it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

Exmansworthy I had exactly the same problem when I switched from a Tomtom to a new Garmin.

The first trip using it was horrendous.

From Huelgoat to Rome we must have been totally lost and way off route at least a dozen times. All attempts to get back on route were only accomplished when I eventually purchased  a map. (Latest firmware and latest EU map.)  There was absolutly no logic to the route it had decided to send us on each time.

On the way back I decided to use the map and break the route down to just a few cities further on route maximum say 130 - 170 kms.  Result perfect routing  !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

To sum up-what we all need is a gps that is physically as robust as a Garmin but has the mapping software and routing of a TomTom?

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashore-10052757 - 3 years ago

I have always used Garmin GPS for cars, motorcycles and boats. I have only once been let down by them and that was when the Zumo refused to see the obvious route when travelling through Switzerland. That was easily overcome by putting in a waypoint. 

To answer the OP, it will be much easier to replace your old, damaged model than to mess around trying to clone somebody else's unit.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

To Freda Checks.............

It is a Garmin Nuvi 1340.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freda Checks - 3 years ago

Iguana Rock, if you tell us the exact model number it may be possible to rebuild your Garmin from somebody else's data, if they have the same model number.

As you say with these things it is sometimes better to buy the latest model!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Exmansworthy-10052202 - 3 years ago

fitter....yes I too have done several tours of the roudabouts & a few 180° + 360° turnarounds. Garmin gremlins ah! oui....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Exmansworthy I have to say that the garmin we have, a Zumo 220, which can be used on moto or car has some strange habits -  it's too late giving directions on roundabouts and will specify a different route returning along the route you have just travelled- it's just garmin!!