DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Do I need to get a medical before applying to renew driving permis

Posted by swallows-948755 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

If you only want a basic French driving licence, ie small motorcycle, car/ small van (max 3500Kg) and small unbraked trailor, you will not need a medical. If you want to keep your 7500kg limit and tow a caravan/large trailor or the equivalent of PCV and LGV groups, you will need a medical when you change your licence and at regular intervals thereafter. All new French photocard licences now have expiry dates which vary according to your age .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fiona(50) - 3 years ago

Been told, if you have a french licence, it's for life, no need for medical when 70

Sorry no image available
Posted by swallows-948755 - 3 years ago

Thanks steverockers, will phone DVLA next week.

Sorry no image available

On my French licence basic groups AM,A1, B & B1 do not show an expiry date, other groups do and the timescale will depend on the group and your age. However the photocard itself does have an expiry date shown at 4b on the front of the licence.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fiona(50) - 3 years ago

If you have afrench driving licence, does that also need to be renewed when 70??

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

I actually managed to change three days before the photocard expired !  i am wondering if DVLA are just stating the fact that your old licence has expired as well as stating your entitlements , which do not expire when your photocard runs out.  Are the entitlements shown on the document ?  If not, I would call DVLA and get them to send you whatever is needed.  I must admit that I have always found them very helpful and quick to answer the telephone.

Sorry no image available
Posted by swallows-948755 - 3 years ago

Steverockers - did the document DVLA supplied you with say ' licence expired'?  I sent away for this document which as you say was £5 but it came back with 'licence expired' and this is where the trouble started for me.  I do so hope it will not be the same again!

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

DVLA will supply you with a document which will confirm your elligability for a driving licence.  The fact that your existing licence is out of date is immaterial.  The cost is £5 and they will post it to you in France the day after you speak to them on 5he telephone.

I have just changed from a uk to French licence as my photocard was running out.  There is an important difference  between the two.  For older drivers like myself a uk licence in it's basic form allows you to drive a vehicle up to 7.5 tons and to tow up to (I think) 3.5 tons.  A French basic licence only allows you to drive up to 3.5 tons and tow 750kg.  Unless you tell the prefecture that you do not require the 7.5 ton option (B1?), they will automatically add it to your new French licence.  However, this will require a medical.  If you just go for the basic French licence, no medical is required.

What you might need is a translation of some of the documents.  If you read the regulations, they say that they are needed but whether you actually need to supply them seems to depend on where you apply.  I got my licence in Caen and they required no translations but I know that others can be different.  I suggest that you post on Angloinfo to find out people's experiences about the requirements at the prefecture that you will be using..

Sorry no image available

Sorry for the typo, it should read "your insurer will only honour third party claims"

Sorry no image available

The number of times these threads come up begs the question " how many people are driving around with expired(invalid) licences"  Not only is this highly illegal but it will affect your insurance should you have an accident. Your insurer they will only third party claims and in the event of a serious accident may persue you afterwards to recover their loss.

I would encourage everyone to check their licence. In the case of a UK licence both the licence and photocard must be valid. If you are stopped in the UK with an expired licence your vehicle can be siezed, I am not sure what happens here but it is surely not worth the risk.