DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Drivers license

Posted by Ballydoreen - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ballydoreen - 3 years ago

Thank you so much for this most valuable information!!  I will try the prefecteur and go that route!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 3 years ago

I know it will depend upon your finances but if your priority is getting from A to B locally, perhaps you could consider finding a small 2-seater car (voiture sans permis) which does not require a driving license.  They exist but a little expensive (used / 1-2000€ ) and everyone will criticise on here but, hey ho, it is a possibility which no-one has mentioned!

https://www.google.fr/?gws_rd=ssl#q=voiture+sans+permis+occasion

You might be able to pick up or even hire a second-hand one to tied you over until you pass your driving test and then sell it as there is always a market.  My daughter-in-law has one, it is insured and it serves it's purpose of taking her little one to school or go to work locally.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjp47 - 3 years ago

I know you are looking for other options, BUT if you decide to do the test here, you will need to pass the theory test first. This you can book yourself in privately for (much cheaper) though most driving schools would have you believe otherwise. Im assuming French is not your first language and if so you are entitled to sit the theory test for non francophones. This is another option the driving schools don't like to tell you about. It means you have longer to answer the questions, and you can have an interpreter if you need one. You can get the info for booking a place via the prefecture. No need to go through a driving school. Just do the practical lessons through the driving school.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

Ballydoreen, are you a French resident or Irish resident? If French how do you apply for an Irish licence?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I think it will take longer than 2 months - the waiting time for tests over here is really long, the sooner you get hooked up with a driving school the sooner you can take the test because you cannot book a test as private runner, you have to go through a school. 

Sorry no image available

Thanks - I will do the right thing - if I got a license in Ireland I would change it right away to a French one - doing it the French way is very expensive and takes over 2 months.

Sorry no image available

Ballydoreen, I think it's RESIDENCY not RESIDENCE that matters. It seems to apply or renew a US driving licence you have to be a resident in the state where you apply. Why not just bite the bullet and get your French licence, at least you would be all legal, if you had an accident in France and the insurance company looked in to it you may be in trouble, it's also the right thing to do for other drivers that are on the road.

Sorry no image available

I do have a residence in the US so,would not be fraud.  

Sorry no image available

You are correct John P.  Just wanted to,keep,it valid for my trips back and forth!!

Sorry no image available

It looks to me like it's just like the UK licence, once it expires you have to apply for a new one in the country you reside in, the benefit of the UK one being you don't need to take a driving test etc. Ballydoreen, it looks like you would have to give false information if you renewed the US licence due to your residency status, as John has pointed out in so many words. It would be interesting to know what your thoughts are on this?