Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


driving Entitlements removed from French Permit

Posted by hunterhouse100 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

I would suggest that the OP speaks to his boss as a matter of urgency, as based on his comments, he should not be driving HGV's and could cause aggro for both himself and his firm if caught.

It may be a simple clerical error, but most likely because his entitlement to groups D, C, and E have expired. As has been said, he'll need to have another medical if this is the case before he can drive vehicles in those categories or tow his caravan.

What concerns me is that the OP seems unaware of French motoring legislation as it applies to his work. Has he not had to do a 'Stage', FIMO, FCO, or at least the Code Theory, prior to being able to drive professionally ? I've been driving over here for some years and have done the FIMO and the qinquennial FCO, which are obligatory for most driving jobs.

Furthermore, as such matters can impact on the firm as well, the companies that I've worked for have always taken a copy of my permis, my drivers tacho card and my FCO card to ensure that they can arrange for periodic medicals/courses as and when needed.

As a matter of course everybody should always check all details of their new licence immediately upon receipt and ensure that they keep a copy of their old licence.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Exmansworthy-10052202 - 3 years ago

Worse for mine...my UK license was stolen & therefore the date they put on my FR permis is the replacement some 20 years later than obtained.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I was a bit gutted when I changed mine from UK to French as it states I passed my test age 18. I was age 17 but as this is not possible in France so I have to accept it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

To re-instate your entitlements in groups C and D you will need a medical with an approved doctor. Your French photocard licence has an expiry date as do your extra entitlements. The period of validity depends on your age. They both get shorter as you get older.

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

The new licence C1 was started in 2013 for vehicles upto 7.5 tons it was made up specifically for camping cars etc you have to sit a driving test for it now unless you had a heavy goods licence .  If you have a heavy goods licence it could be that your medical had expired therefore new medical (every 5 years now) would get your rights back .

Avoir au moins 18 ans et être titulaire du permis C1

PTAC > 3,5 t et <= à 7.5 tonnes et avec remorque dont PTAC > 750 kg

Sorry no image available
Posted by Exmansworthy-10052202 - 3 years ago

The only place to query your entitlements is the Prefecture that removed those categories from your new permis.