DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Driving in brittany

Posted by ronsmum - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

I am sorry if others do not agree BUT....

In my experince most French companies are not interested in UK no claims bonus.

The reason is  no claims bonus can be protected in the UK so there is no

proof of not having an accident or claim.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

We had to provide proof of NCD which 'MORE THAN' provided for us. We then gave that to our insurer here, MMA who happily honoured it. My advice would be to choose your insurer wisely.

We are very happy with ours - we have the car and house with MMA and were given a discount because we have more than one policy. We like the fact that there is a local office too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Possibly what the broker meant was that the premium for comprehensive insurance would be more than the value of the car, so he wasn't going to offer it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

'can only get 3rd party insurance as car 10 years old'.... I have never owned a car newer than 10 years old in over 50 years of car ownership, and never had a problem with fully comp insurance  on any of the cars owned , 10 -12-15 years old etc , many times I have refused the fully comp quote as not economic on a vehicle with little value . 

My present French insurer offered fully comp, including breakdown on my 14 year old car ...I suggest you shop around and change insurers if needed .

Sorry no image available
Posted by dabbityduck-384379 - 3 years ago

Breakdown cover is usually included in your insurance, though I believe it's normally just a tow it to a garage service. Some insurances limit this service to more than 30k from your home, others offer it from your doorstep outwards - worth checking!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

i just asked my original UK insurer for a letter to state my NCB, which was 9 years in the UK, the maximum they said possible with van cover , prior to that I had 12 years NCB . 

My french insurance gave a discount based on the stated NCB, so just ask for a letter , you have nothing to lose and everything to gain as I woild assume if you no longer have any UK car insurance the discount would just be lost?

Sorry no image available
Posted by salsachica - 3 years ago

As my car was 10 years old I could only get it insured 3rd party and no break down cover! I had to provide a no claims certificate from my UK insurers and also 18mths worth of proof of previous insurance because I cancelled the UK one only a few months into the term. when I arrived. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gogo Yubari - 3 years ago

You will need proof of your no claims bonus from England  and it will be accepted. You may not get more than 50% in France though.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

Maximum no claims in France is normally 50%. Get your UK insurers to offer you some kind of proof of your entitlement. In France you can decide what kind of assistance you requite from At Home assistance to a certain distance from home.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

It will depend on your broker but mine wanted min 10 years of rconsecutive enewal notices in order to give me maximum no claims - which amazingly I managed to get.. Can't remember how much they allow you but it's not as much as in the UK, is max ncb in the uk 60% and in France 40%, can't remember the figures.

Most if not all car insurance includes breakdown insurance, usually you can choose what level cover you want, eg home start etc. I've used mine twice and it's done the job.