DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Driving licence?

Posted by guillac - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by woody-383477 - 3 years ago

Our son went for a french licence and discovered that his plastic one had run out.  He didn't encounter any real proble;s but was required to take an eye test (he is 37) .  He lives in Paris.

Sorry no image available
Posted by guillac - 3 years ago

Hello Simon 2010,

sorry but I am not sure as to exacly what you are saying.  Our friends UK driving licence has expired and he wishes to get a new French one.  We assumed from previous edit postings that we needed to download the appropriate forms which we did via AI and will fill them in and then visit our prefecture with the necessary proof etc.

if anyone thinks this is wrong then please us know??

thank you everyone who has and is trying to help.

sylvie

Sorry no image available
Posted by simon2010 - 3 years ago

Just this week have been asked for 'Entitlement to Drive' from DVLA, rang up and they have put one in the post. Dead simple.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Hi. as a previous poster has stated,a lot depends on the person you deal with,we sent ours off in the same envelope one came back in 3 days and the other took nearly 2 months,no real reason I could see for this,if the secretary in your Mairie speaks English drop by and ask for help,we find them most helpful and willing to help.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by luckyboy69 - 3 years ago

Be aware that age is a factor in exchanging a uk licence for a french one. I recently turned 70 and went to Prefecture with relevant forms completed but was several days later than my birthday. Because of this I had to have < and pay for > a medical showing competence to drive before my french licence was issued. Took about 4 weeks and 2 trips to Prefecture.

Sorry no image available
Posted by guillac - 4 years ago

Hello scr,

thank you for your help but I am afraid to say that none of us could possibly navigate that site as our French just isn't good enough!.  It does not translate to English (only the main page does)We have the forms and will visit the prefecture for our area.

first I have heard about having to pay anything though!

thank you

Sylvie

Sorry no image available
Posted by scr-428717 - 4 years ago

Hi Sylvie - I had this a few years ago and it was really easy. I got the form online from the Finistere/Brittany website - sent it off with payment to Brest - plus photo.  I asked if they needed a translation of anything and they said absolutely not.  Got it back in no time.  

See the site on:-

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F1758.xhtml#N1007F

La personne qui possède un permis de conduire délivré par un autre pays de l'Espace économique européen (EEE) peut demander son échange contre un permis français équivalent, sous certaines conditions. La demande d'échange n'est pas obligatoire sauf en cas d'infraction entraînant une mesure de restriction, de suspension, d'annulation du permis ou une perte de points.

If you can't get onto the site just type into Google

Échanger un permis de conduire d'un autre pays européen

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 4 years ago

Some people say you need an "entitlement to drive" from the DVLA.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

There have been many replies on many forums to the effect that say just turn up with the licence and they exchange no problem.

Depends on the mood of the official apparently.

Sorry no image available
Posted by guillac - 4 years ago

Hello Fitter,

thank you for your help and I have downloaded the suggested forms.  Although I was unable to find any mention of what to do if the UK licence has actually expired I am sure we are on the right track.

I am also sure that many people have discussed this but we rarely go on AI and do not really know our way around it that well.  And yes ! perhaps we should familiarise ourselves a bit more.

thank you again

sylvie