DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Driving licence translations

Posted by bretongirl56 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretongirl56 - 3 years ago

Thank you very much Freckleface, that's all I needed to know x

Sorry no image available
Posted by Freckleface-401505 - 3 years ago

The sous Prefecture in Lorient is very efficient and just the application form and your UK licence is all that is required.As a precaution take a self addressed stamped envelope with you.Also the usual proof of residence and passport.In France always take the maximum documents with you just in case!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by leapfrog - 3 years ago

Bretongirl56. I am a certified translator and can tell you that I always advise people to double-check with the prefecture that a translation is required.

Although translation is my business, I don't see why people should fork out for something that's totally unnecessary.

Up to now, every single person in various départements has come back to say it is not required.

Perhaps you could let me the outcome in your département by pm so I can add département 56 to my list.

Sorry no image available

As an aside, I also asked the Prefecture in Vannes if a translation was required and was told to phone the same number in Lorient that I had been given in Pontivy. Talk about going round in circles!

Sorry no image available

Fitter, we were at the Sous Prefecture in Pontivy at 8.30 am this morning and were told quite emphatically that we had to go to Lorient. I actually phoned the Prefecture in Vannes when we got home to confirm that this was the case because I was as surprised as you are and was told that it was correct.

I speak French fluently and can assure you there was no misunderstanding.

Thanks to Jaykay and Anonymous for the info about St Brieuc. Unfortunately as we live in 56 I don't think we can apply there. My query is specifically about Lorient.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

But Pontivy is a sous prefecture of the Prefecture of Morbihan in Vannes- why would Pontivy tell you to go to another sous prefecture?

Either there is a misunderstsanding here, or Pontivy are pulling your chain.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

I did mine without translation with St. Brieuc by post.  Avoided all the parking aggro.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jaykay-10041854 - 3 years ago

we did ours last year at the prefecture in St Brieuc and we didn't need any translations - unless of course they have changed the process - we only needed a medical if we wanted to keep all the categories that were our UK driving licences - very easy at St Brieuc.