DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

driving test

Posted by lamb chop - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Burt Lancaster - 3 years ago

I've checked and the law changed in november last year, they can start CA at 15 and take test at 17.5 years of age, it's still 18 without the CA.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

I was under the impression that you thought my reply was not based on knowledge but on hearsay from french people and that I had misunderstood .My grandson ( who is 50/50 french english ) did his required CA and written took his test about 2 wks before his birthday ,just after his BAC and the paperwork was sent off straight away .It did help that he has done karting and was 3 rd in the Bretagne championship .He did not drive on this 18th B day for obvious reasons but could have legally .

Sorry no image available

Just to expand I have also been here for a considerable number of years and the reason i asked the question was that ihad one son pass 2 years ago and he had to wait until he was 18 to drive solo on his A plate, i have another son in the throws of doing his and he has been told the same. Just what how long we have been in france has to do with it i'm not sure as the law seems to have changed hence my question, Did the paperwork arrive before the 18th Birthday or was it held until the day?

Another poster has more or less answered the question well before your reply but i will be asking the question next time we are in the Driving School.

Sorry no image available

If you look it was a question.  That's what question marks are for usually.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

Dear Mr Lancaster I live in France ,and have for 23 yrs my grandson lives in the next village .I know when he passed his both his written and practical driving test. I also know when his 18 th birthday was   .He passed with 30 out of 31 ,befor his 18th then had to wait for the relevant paperwork .

Sorry no image available

look at the internet code training option, it's not expensive and can be done at home, Test then done at centre as with all others.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lamb chop - 3 years ago

thanks all, Janes, that's what I think we need a driving school who do more than the code once a week :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 3 years ago

My son went every afternoon for a code session at his local driving school and passed the code a few weeks later - basically as soon as he could get a test, so I guess that's the key question for your local school. They started giving him actual driving lessons as soon as he had done a few code sessions and he passed his test three months later. I think he could have done it more quickly but that was fine for him.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lamb chop - 3 years ago

not asking about conduite accompagnée, just fast track :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Live&Love - 3 years ago

age limits on driving has changed you can start at 15 and pass at 17 if your doing driver accompanied. If your doing the other route permis b then you can start at 16 and pass at 18. A friend did the fast track cost nearly 4000 euros.