DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Emissions cheat VW car owners will get up to $1250 in vouchers.

Posted by Fitter - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

The US proposal

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3280628/Volkswagen-forced-buy-emissions-cheating-cars-US.html

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/diesel-687253-berman-emissions.html

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

There are rumours sourced from inside a UK Skoda dealership (and they are only rumours at this stage) that VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda are looking into buying back all affected cars for the price paid - new or used.

It sounds highly unlikely but if this does go ahead, it would be early next year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

I know this is not directly the point of the OP but by far the worst polluters in the world of toxic gasses and the biggest contributors to the effects of global warming are the oil companies themselves, I work in the Oil and Gas industry so know what I’m talking about, when a new well is brought in it goes through a process known as a well test, briefly the valves are opened and the oil and or gas is set alight in a flare pit this is left to burn for at least 2 days to monitor the performance of the well, bear in mind this is sour (untreated dirty) fuel that pours out sun blocking black smoke, millions of cubic meters are burned of this way on each test, wells are not few and far between there may be 100s of wells in any 1 field and could be as near as a 100mtrs from each other, one area I have worked recently within eyesight there was a couple well tests on every day for over a year, oil companies claim to be so clean and environmentally friendly, if only you knew the truth.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Agreed. The use of variable tax rates as a means of reducing harmful emissions is somewhat unethical. They are saying - if you can afford to run a vehicle that emits more noxious gases than the average, be our guest, as long as we can have a regular chunk of cash. So the policy is flawed, as a measure to reduce emissions.

Just as daft as our local council some years ago (probably still daft) complaining in the local press that they missed their income target from parking fines. What a shame - people abided by the council's parking rules, so they failed to make money out of the "crimes" of motorists.

Sorry, rant over. 

Sorry no image available

My personal opinion is that the whole CO2 and NOX shambles is a world class scam - if you want to read the proof about how the global warming/ climate change figures were fiddled, read about it here.

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2007-03-04-1.html

How can you possibly tax people according to how much plant food gas their cars emit? - madness!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chris the cook -425443 - 3 years ago

In May we discovered that noise/vibration coming from the dashboard is only covered for 6 months and after that period it's called wear and tear and not covered on the 3 year warranty. The main dealer said they needed the car in for 2 days to investigate to which we replied "jog on"   I can't for the life of me think what wear and tear there is on a dashboard.

This all goes to prove that they are no longer the good quality manufacturer they used to be. It also really annoys me when they refer to it as defeat software - the word is cheating

Sorry no image available

Yes - their old advertising strapline "If only everything was as reliable as a Volkswagen" sounds a bit hollow nowadays.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chris the cook -425443 - 3 years ago

Thanks for posting this Fitter it makes interesting reading. No doubt there will be a clause in the paperwork saying " In full and final settlement." It is very little compensation when we don't know what we are going to end up with. If it alters the performance, mpg and resale value then they will have to do better than that.

Sorry no image available

What? No V doubleV owners here?