DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Expired UK Paper Licence

Posted by suziepops - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by caucus - 4 years ago

Anyone who needs a UK driving licence because they feel that they are likely to be stopped by the French police for a driving offence should check out this website . I should point out that I have no connection whatsoever with the owners of the site and have no intention of using their services. I have just renewed my UK driving licence as I have recently celebrated my 70th birthday.

Incidentally, I was once stopped by a young constable in the UK whilst riding a motorcycle on a 30mph speed limit road. He jumped out, off the pavement, causing me to effect an emergency stop. My machine came to a halt just inches from him. He admired my bike, a 500cc Norton Dominator and then uttered the immortal words "There's only one place speeding will get you: an early grave".

So, if you don't want to get stopped by the cops, don't exceed the speed limits!

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 4 years ago

Surely the point here is that a photocard has an expiry date and must be renewed on or before that date. Whether your licence itself is comprimised or not isn't really the point. Either way you are committing an offence if you drive with an expired photocard. If the gendarmes stop a British motorist they may be offered a French card licence, a French photocard licence, a UK paper licence, a UK photocard licence with a paper suppliment or as I understand it a new photocard only licence and that is just a British motorist. Add another 26 EU countries and you can begin to imagine the miriad of different licences they have to contend with. I would suggest that your average gendarme is not ofey with all the licences they are likely to come across. However if you offer them a licence which has an expired date on it, they are likely to question it and delay you while they check up on the validity or not of your licence.

To me it isn't worth the hassle of not keeping your documents up to date. Present a valid up to date licence and you will be allowed on your way......simples!

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 4 years ago

'Failing to update your photo is a non-endorseable offence although it could carry a fine'. Some police forces don't get this bit!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

Bandy-By all means search for, and post a legal opinion that matches your point of view.

The source I quoted is authoritive and is relied upon by the fleet driver training industry in the UK, many of whom are ex-police class 1 licence holders and instructors.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 4 years ago

Fitter, you are merely referencing someone's opinion, in which he actually contradicts himself.

As he states, the date on the phhotocard is the date that the photocard is valid to - after which date it is clearly invalid, and carries a possible fine of £1000, under the Road Traffic Act.

Until the very recent change negating the requirement for the paper part, the GB licence consisted of two parts, both of which make a whole. If any aspect of either part is not valid, the licence cannot be valid as both parts must themselves be valid.

The fact remains that as there is an offence, punishable by a fine, for driving with an out-of-date photocard that, ergo, it is cleatrly illegal to drive without one, as it is a required part if the licence (recent changes notwithstanding) and driving without a valid photocard means that one is effectively driving without a photocard !

Ultimately, would you want to try and argue the toss with a stroppy Gendarme who has the power to refuse to allow you to continue on your way ?

Here's an alternative view from another lawyer:

http://www.clmlaw.co.uk/motoring/2013/01/did-you-know-your-driving-licence-may-be-invalid/

Sorry no image available

The French have a databank similar to the DVLA of vehicles and licences. If you commit a driving offence such as speeding, a fixed penalty notice will be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle. If you were not driving the vehicle at the time you have to disclose the details of the person who was(like the UK system)

When you pay the fine, your details will be held on the databank. In the case of foreign registered vehicles where the owner cannot be traced, the vehicle details will be held on the database as having an outstanding fine against it. I remember a case reported on here some time ago where a UK plated car was stopped at a routine checkpoint and had a number of speeding fines recorded against it. The owner had no idea about the fines because the vehicle was not registered here but the car was impounded until the debt was cleared.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

" or the new style card which is only valid for 10 years, then yes it is illegal to drive anywhere once it has expired."

This is not actually the case - another urban myth.

The photocard driving licence and hence your entitlement to drive is valid until you turn 70 - the photo expires every ten years but the licence and your entitlement to drive is still valid.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/blog/entry/legislation-expired-photos-do-not-invalidate-driving-licences/46025/

Sorry no image available
Posted by Field18 - 4 years ago

Where on the "French system" will your points be held? Cannot be lodged agaisnt driving licence as it is not possible for it to be on French system.

Sorry no image available

It is my understanding, from reading posts on here, and from a friend's experience, that if you commit a minor traffic violation you may not be required to exchange your licence. The points will be held on the French system. If however your offence is serious or you get caught a second time, then you will be required to exchange your licence. It is at the discretion of the authorities. Minor offences may only result in the deduction of one point and for a few months. It would seem that some offences like being caught  just above the speed limit carry a less severe penalty than the equivalent than in the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MoutonRouge-437553 - 4 years ago

Just to be clear it is not MY logic, as I said it IS what happened.  Clearly the points were not physically deducted from the UK Licence they were held on file.