DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French bureaucracy gone mad

Posted by janes-394036 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 4 years ago

My reply was to "Treeslayer"

Sorry no image available
Posted by Field18 - 4 years ago

Pardon!!!!!!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 4 years ago

It cost the government precisely nothing, the cost is paid for by the UK taxpayer, as always. So whilst a fair amount of hassle might have been caused to some administrators, they will probably now think they need to devise a new process to handle such refunds, just in case they might receive any further overpayments. Other departments are likely to be alerted to similar possibilities and each, in turn, will probably devise new sets of procedures for their own completely different systems for processing receipts and refunds. Perhaps the planned public spending cuts, will need to be adjusted to pay for all the extra administrative procedures, reinforced by government legal advisors - all for that penny

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 4 years ago

And my point anyway was the absurdity of the situation, not the rights and wrongs of the rules. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by janes-394036 - 4 years ago

Sorry Foxie but the man in the Post Office assured me that it is perfectly possible to prove reception of the letter and the date it was received without having paid for the accuse de reception. The Post Office keeps records for one year. You just have to take the initial receipt they give you when you posted it into the Post Office and they will give you the necessary paperwork. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

Sorry but I think you're missing the point. The point of sending a letter AR is not just to prove receipt, but more importantly to prove the date of receipt. Whenever there is a cut off date, there will obviously be cases where letters arrive on the last day or the day after that, and if there is no official record of the date of receipt, people whose letter arrived on Day 46 would argue black is blue that the letter must have been received on Day 44 because they posted it on Day 42, etc. So it is obviously a lot better if there is an AR record because nobody can argue with that.

OK so yours arrived in good time but you can't have one rule for one and another rule for all the rest. So I'm sorry janes but I thik it's another case of, you need to see look at the big picture and see how the system works, not just see things from your own little corner and decide you won't bother following the rules because surely they don't apply to you.

Actually I think it's rather decent of them to write and tell you. They could have saved themselves the trouble and made a bit of extra cash by putting your letter in the bin and sending you a fine after the deadline had passed, and how far do you think you would have got with trying to say that you sent a letter, oh but not AR. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

A few years ago we also had a mortgage and a very large bridging loan ( don't ask ). 

We sold a property and went to the building society that held the bridging loan with a very large cheque from the proceeds of the sale to pay off the bridging loan.

"Do you have an appointment?"

"What? To pay off a  bridging loan that is making interest for you at about a pound a minute? I have a cheque to pay off the loan"

"I'm sorry you must have an appointment" 

MOH went into loud voice-foot-stamping mode in front of a queue of customers. 

An appointment was immediately found and the loan paid off then and there.

Bureaucrats all have procedures - their procedures don't have the capacity to cope with angry customers, if push comes to shove- get angry.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

A few years ago I was in the lucky enough position to pay off a mortgage and did it in Dover before catching a ferry. I went into the Building Society with which I had the mortgage to find the exact sum owed. I then went down the street to the different Building Society where my money was and collected a cheque. Back to BS number one. I was shown into the office and the manager got out the paperwork. He then explained that it was better if, rather than pay off the whole mortgage, I kept a mortgage of £1 on the house. This, he explained had two advantages; the BS would hold the deeds securely at no charge and if I wanted to take out a new mortgage on the property there would be no additional fees. I agreed that that seemed to be a good idea. Papers were signed and I handed over the cheque only to be told that it was no good as it was (now) for a pound too much. It was almost the end of the day and I had a ferry to catch. We solved Catch 22 by my opening a new account so they could divert £1 into it, the rest was used against the mortgage. I cancelled the new account a couple of weeks later once the paperwork had arrived then I received a cheque for £1. 

These things are sent to test us!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Treeslayer - 4 years ago

I remember hearing abot some guy in Uk what sent a cheque for his fine to DVLA for the amount plus 1p (one pence of the realm)

Apparently it cost the gov loads to send a refund out, and it was his way of giving two fingers to the "establishment" not sure if it true?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sempron - 4 years ago

I sent documents to Newcastle UK last year by AR service. Cost me 8 euros.

I did not receive the AR receipt.

I queried this with the PO and after 2 months I was told that "The British PO say it was delivered"

So I did not receive the service I paid for as I have no signed proof the docements were delivered.

So can I have a refund please?  Response was a NO.

Not worth persueing any further !!