DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French Car Scrappage in UK

Posted by sarahjessica-444465 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

For anyone that lives in the vicinity of Dinan and surrounds, for some time now the sous prefecture at Dinan no longer deals with motor issues. You can be 100% sure that you can go to St Malo to re-register your car regardless of what has been said before. I hope that helps save someone a long trip to St Brieuc if you live close to Dinan. You can of course send all the document to St Brieuc if you prefer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bollydolly-889742 - 3 years ago

rance,

Although I feel I do not have to justify myself, the tone of your reply I think needs addressing.

I stated we lived close to the  Sous Prefecture as we have over the period of living here become friends with one of the staff there, who has helped us enormously.

Your  comment "no way would they have told you to go to St Brieuc"   (I was always taught  assumption is a dangerous thing) that is exactly what we were told to do when re- registerimg the car from UK plates to French. I can assure you I do not tell lies,  perhaps maybe in the interim things have changed.

In May this year I changed my UK licence to French, again it was St Brieuc that dealt with the application, and yes....an appointment was required.

For the avoidance of any doubt, as my response to the OP was made in all good faith. When next I see our friend I will ask for clarity.

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 3 years ago

Car registrations can now be done in any department because there is a central register.  However, driving licences must still be dealt with by an office in the department in which you are a registered resident.

Sorry no image available

rance, we live within metres of the Dinan Prefecture and although they were very helpful, even arranged appointments etc. We had to go to St Brieuc for vehicle registration, also for changing English licence to French. 

St Malo would have been so much easier & closer, will check with them next time.

Sorry no image available

Sorry Bollydolly but we use St Malo for  our car registrations. St Brieuc is far too long a drive for us as it is for many who live in the vicinity of Dinan in Dept 22. It makes no difference to registering a car by using another departement, St Malo of course being dept 35.

Sorry no image available

Dinan Prefecture (still operating) but has transferred all vehicle related issues to St Brieuc not St Malo. 

Would agree to contact your insurer, they will advise the documentation required from the UK to satisfy the French regulations.

Sorry no image available

The sous prefecture in Dinan hasn't moved just the vehicle section has closeddown, It is now to be found in Saint Malo.

If you want to do things strictly legal, rather than do what many have done before and just scrapped their car and walked away then get a letter of destruction from the scrapyard in the UK, who will then send it to the DVLA who have a data base for foreign cars. Send this off to your French insurer to cancel the car insurance and ask if they will inform the Prefecture concerned in France, or you may have to do it by way of a certificat de cession yourself BUT it is not officially necessary.Just ensure you inform your insurers with the necessary proof of destruction.