DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French Driving licence

Posted by vichy-445734 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by vichy-445734 - 3 years ago

Dear all,

Plastic uk photocard driving licence expired that's why we have applied for french permis  (we live in france ).

V

X

Sorry no image available
Posted by monkeyhanger - 3 years ago

Did mine in Lorient yesterday the 9th, i was told 1 month

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 3 years ago

Advice from the DVLA says,

If you already hold a paper counterpart, since 8 June 2015 it no longer has any legal status. You should destroy your paper counterpart after this date but you still need to keep your current photocard driving licence.

Therefore it should not be required by the prefecture.

Sorry no image available
Posted by vichy-445734 - 3 years ago

Dear all

Yes we will just have to wait,we sent all the relevant documents at the end of July, so with august holidays in France it's a case of being patient I suppose. 

Thank you very much for your input. 

V

X

Sorry no image available
Posted by Laura29 - 3 years ago

I exchanged mine in Brest In April this year. As long as your UK licence is still valid you are ok to drive in the UK whilst you wait for the French licence but the Attestation you are given doesn't entitle you to drive in the UK. I only had to hand in my UK licence when I received my French one. It took about 5 weeks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Oldbury - 3 years ago

you posted thos on 8th Sept so I expect you have a couple of weeks to wait from the moment it was received. Normally the green paper part would be translated (the relevant bits) into French and sent off as well. Seems to differ from sub-prefecture to sub-prefecture and prefectrures too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretongirl56 - 3 years ago

We have recently gone through this process and it took 5 weeks from the date we delivered all the necessary paperwork to the Sous Prefecture in Lorient, to receiving an e mail that our licences were ready to collect.

We were told to keep our UK licences until our French licences were ready and only handed them over when we picked up the new ones.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RAY THE BASS - 3 years ago

A couple of issues here. You say that you have your Green paper  part of the UK licence. This should have been handed in at the prefecture with your photocard licence when you applied for the French one. The green bit is not valid on it's own.

You would have been given an attestation showing that you are entitled to drive, pending the delivery of your new French licence. This attestation is only valid in France and not any other EU country. Therefore you will not be able to drive in the UK or hire a car I'm afraid.

Regards, Ray.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jivedance-411773 - 3 years ago

When we did ours in Pontivy three years ago we were told three months, and it was. It may have changed now, so hopefully it will not be too long a wait.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lofty-385373 - 3 years ago

In the Vendee it takes 11 months, That's how long I had to wait1