DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French driving license

Posted by Vannetais - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Frisbest01 - 3 years ago

Both my wife's and my licence took three weeks to process from the Prefecture in Vannes. Excellent service.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Vannetais - 3 years ago

Well I have until Nov so no worries as yet. Civil servents are known to take things easy, any longer than two months I will ring them. Thank you for the replies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by heureux - 3 years ago

Just got mine from Lorient, it took four months.

Sorry no image available
Posted by elbel-434863 - 3 years ago

We're just in the process of doing ours through the St Brieuc prefecture. 

Initially we had to send in copies of all the requisite documents (including the marriage certificate for mine as women's licenses are in their maiden name) plus passport-size photographs for the new photo cards.

We received an acknowledgement a couple of weeks later, and an attestation of being registered on the French system which is valid for six months.  

We then had to make an appointment to go in person (100 mile round trip!), taking all the original documents with us for approval and sign-off by the lady in charge. 

She told us we'd receive the new licenses via registered post within a month or so and, once we've acknowledged them, that wil be that.

Other prefectures might do things differently, though...

PS The lady at St Brieuc spoke English as soon as she realised we could both speak French!

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

There is no fixed time for re-newing or exchanging licences, it depends on the prefecture and how busy they are. Normally you should have been given a stamped copy of your application which can be produced  if necessary to gendarmes if required. If you are concerned, give them a ring or pop in and see them but 4 weeks is not excessive in my experience.

Sorry no image available
Posted by monkeyhanger - 3 years ago

I was told 4 weeks when i went to Lorient to renew mine 2 weeks ago. Time will tell!!!