DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French registering a UK camper

Posted by brenda.barnes - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by brenda.barnes - 3 years ago

Thank you all so much for your help and advice,I will keep you all informed of the outcome in time

Regards

Brenda

Sorry no image available
Posted by oldminiman-10052272 - 3 years ago

I agree with chef du game, patience is a blessing ne dealing wit the Prefecture and the DRIRE on immatrulation.  in 2002 it took me eleven months to get my Daihatsu Sportrak re registered in Pays de Loire and included an engineers inspection at Laval Airport.  As I understand the rules a COC issued in any member state has to   be accepted in another but I accept that some regions have their own interpretation of the rules.  I enlisted the aid of the Mairie in my village which did shift the process on but patience is the rule plus reams of paper.  Good luck and don't give up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernowboy-10061199 - 3 years ago

Brenda, if you mean where can you get a gas test, Dreal will point you in that direction, they will give you the name of a company that can verify your system is of the "approved" type and issue you with a certificate for DREAL.  If you mean where can you buy gas, then supermarkets are your best bet.  By Habitation test, do you mean the annual check for damp etc? You can get that done at most of the motorhome dealers here.  There are several clustered along the RN12 between St Brieuc and Lamballe, just pop in and speak to them, but a word of warning, they will all be very busy in the run up to Easter.

Yes, it is going to take some patience, but as your MH started life as such and is not a conversion you should have no major issues.  As I said before, the legislation regarding which side the door is on was changed in March 2008, stand your ground on that and insist they look it up.  I have tried to google it but without success, I'm a bit busy this morning. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

I have had mistakes on two of the three V5s that I have used to register cars in France. In both cases the DVLA were quick to send corrected replacements. In one case they sent a V5 but the other needed a Certificate of Permanent Export as I had already sent off the export slip. The DVLA could not have been more helpful or efficient.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chef du gare - 3 years ago

I have been down this road myself and you need a bit of patience I'm afraid. My problems started with an incorrect VO5 ,which the DVLA could not/would not change.  The vehicle is a Bilbos camper on a VW transporter base.  It was a 9 seater camper! Eventually It was sorted and a trip tp Dreal at Lanester was arranged to have an inspection. The habitation door was on the "Wrong " side but not an issue, and because the camper had a National caravan council approval, it was immediately accepted. THe only issue I had to deal with was the dead locking which when activated does not allow the rear door to opened from the inside.  The tail gate window was designated an emergency exit, and we had to have a "break glass" sign and a little hammer.

Make an appointment with DREAL  and have it inspected, the man knows his stuff and speaks excellent English. On a one to one level they are genuinely very helpful and will do their best to get you into the system   

Bon Courage

CdG

Sorry no image available

thank you so much for all your help,I live in Perret 22570 do you know where I can get gas and maybe re-do the habitation test as the one I have came with camper when I bought it so probably out of date

Thank you again

Brenda

Sorry no image available

I forgot to add the the rules regarding which side the habitation door should be on where changed in 2008,  I think that's long enough for ihe legislation to have worked its way through to the DREAL inspectors!   

I am assuming you have changed the lights? Also, you will probably need a gas inspection, but DREAL will advise you on that.

Sorry no image available

Hi Brenda.  OK, you have your 3 certificates of conformity - Fiat part, chassis and habitation,  that's the usual requirement but as your MH was built prior to 2010 it probably won't have European Whole Vehicle Type Approval (EWVTA) so yer a visit to Dreal will be necessary.  However, which side the door is on is irrelevant.  Our habitation door is on the left side, although because we have EWVTA we didn't have to visit Dreal (though we did have other hoops to jump through!).  Whoever you spoke to at Dreal was wrong,  this silly bet of legislation was removed years ago. Rather than phone them, make an appointment for the inspection and if the say it can't be registered because the door is on the wrong side ask to see the legislation that says this. i suspect your friend spoke to someone who didN't know current legislation rather than an inspector.  Meanwhile, try and look up some old posts on here by a guy named "Sunday Driver",  he knew what he was talking about with this stuff and was very helpful when we registered ours.  Good luck and keep trying.  

Sorry no image available

Thank you for your reply

I have a 2007 Swift Bessacar E785

I bought it last Sept from Northern Ireland

The first thing was to take it for CT which it passed with flying colours after we changed the lights

Then we filled in all the required forms and took them to prefecture at St Breiuc only to be told we needed another certificate of conformity and that was all we needed

We have 2 already,one for the chassis which is a European certificate of conformity and one from Swift for the body work

We were told the European one was,nt any good so needed to get another from Fiat

This I did online,so back again to St Breiuc only to be told by someone else that it was only  part certificate of conformity so now needed to go to the Dreal

On the way home we phoned the Dreal who spoke to my French friend and asked where the habitation door was placed,when we said on the left we were told it could not be French registered

We thought that this could be because the camper is LHD and they do not allow the habitation door to be on the same side as the drivers door

Also we thought as it was built in UK it is European so should be allowed anyway

They asked if we could send all the paperwork we have so my friend has emailed copies today so now waiting for a reply

We will be grateful for amy advice you may be able to offer

Thank you so much

Brenda

Sorry no image available

Brenda, having gone through this process 18 months ago, perhaps I can help. What problems are you having? How old is your motorhome? There are lots of horror stories about this topic, most are nonsense.