DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Garage with English speaker?

Posted by Daisydog-1000162 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by toffeeman-425225 - 3 years ago

Hi

If the car is a diesel, it could be your EGR valve or in French Vane EGR.   Unless your are unlucky, you should be able to find someone at your garage who speaks a little English. If it is your EGR valve, it can be cleaned out for a short term siolution but usually it is replaced and cost is around €250-300 for the part plus labour.  You are correct your car could lose power if it is this and usually the exhaust could  smoke badly.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Daisydog-1000162 - 3 years ago

Hi, thanks for the replies. Well a strange thing happened, after the light being on for a few days - it's now gone off! So maybe the other type of petrol was put in and then since it has been refilled it's has cleared. Thanks also for the advice re the devis & the garage I think I may be needing help in the near future!

Sorry no image available
Posted by jonletaxi - 3 years ago

Hi,  in answer to your English speaking garage hunt, I am told that Garage Carre, (a Bosch electronics agency) which is in the zone commerciale shared by amongst other establishments, Carrefour, Gedimat, and a ten pin bowling place, has engineers with knowledge of the English Language. I have English friends, who bought a car there, and have all the servicing done there, and are very satisfied.

I hope this is of help to you, jonletaxi

Sorry no image available
Posted by salsachica - 3 years ago

An odd question, but if your car is petrol, did you put e85 petrol in by mistake? One tank full will not harm the car, but quite often the check engine light comes on as e85 causes a higher oxygen content and it upsets the emissions sensor. If you did, it is usually remedied by using your normal fuel next time you fill up, the light shoud go out after a period of driving.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lerome-405515 - 3 years ago

Any good garage will be able to connect his electronic diagnostic maching to the plug that is hidden under you dash. This will then tell him what the fault is and he will be able to tell you what needs to be done to fix it. Ask him to give you a written devis with a description of the problem and you can then get it translated. It may be something very simple. The amount of money that he quotes on the devis will be a good guide!

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

That's a shame, really, as the people next door are definitely woman-friendly and are used to explaining car things to me in simple French!

Hope you get sorted.

janet

Sorry no image available
Posted by Daisydog-1000162 - 3 years ago

Thanks Janet, but it might breakdown on the way! Also it will probably need to go in to be sorted so really need somewhere near me.  Julie

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

If you were nearer to me - I'm near Loudeac - you could bring it to the garage next to me and I could translate for you.

If you are willing to travel, email me. To email, click on my user name.

janet