DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Getting a 'Quittance'

Posted by grandeouse - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Field18 - 3 years ago

Motorcycle does not require a Control Technique (French MOT) the rest of the process is the same as for a car.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grandeouse - 3 years ago

Is it the same sort of process to get a motorbike registered?

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 3 years ago

In my experience getting a QF is very straightforward. Only people who are importing vehicles that are less than six months/6000km will have any issues and they should have researched their situation carefully in the first place.

i did witness someone having a problem but they were trying to get a QF for a Jersey registered car which was not registered in their name. 

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

It doesn't say no QF is required, it says no duty is payable.

"No duty is charged on a used vehicle imported for personal use, provided that VAT has been paid in the EU country where it was bought, that the vehicle is at least six months old (date since first registration) and has driven at least 6,000 Km prior to entry into France"

The QF is official confirmation for the Prefecture from the tax office that there is no duty outstanding.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

So is the advice given in the section on registering your car in France on this site incorrect when it says that the quittus is only required if the car is less than 6 months old and/or done less than 6k?Perhaps someone who has registered an older car very recently can tell us if they had to have a quittus?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

The quitus fiscal is always required when importing.

Fitter and others have given you the correct advice regarding hand written receipts.

I have never had mine even properly looked at - just a glance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

And I am correct that you only need a quitus if your car is less than 6 months and has done less than a certain mileage as Fitter as experienced

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

It's called a Quitus Fiscal.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

I have registered three cars over the years and in each case there was only a simple hand written UK bill of sale.  Two were written by me and back dated.  I wasn't even asked to show them so it shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

The Impots don't seem to take too much notice of the receipt or invoice as far as I can see-they are more interested in how old it is and what mileage although I have never been asked to prove the mileage.