Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


headlight converters for UK

Posted by pachypach - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

I save myself the bother and cost  - never had a problem. Seems like more hype to take some money of motorists. Do yourself and favour and save some money - dont bother. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by pachypach - 3 years ago

thanks all it's a lhd car so think I will be ok


Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

As I understand it there is no need for deflectors for LHD cars. The reason UK RHD ones have beam cutters is because in the UK the beam pattern is designed to go to the left and uppish to light up the pavements and road signs. French ones do not have a similar pattern. This is why the UK drivers in France with unaltered light beams blind the rest of us because the beam is aimed onto the opposing side of the road and hence at the oncoming drivers. I have driven LHD cars for about 13 years in France with numerous UK visits and I have never been flashed at by drivers going the other way to me or pulled up by the UK police. You can see that the beam is flat.


Sorry no image available
Posted by Hilary Briss - 3 years ago

Have to agree with geegee42 I go to the UK on a regular basis and I have never seen a French car with beam deflectors fitted.I dont fit them but if you wish to buy them at the Port for an excessive amount of money carry on.

If you have a fairley modern car and it has a head lamp levere rotory switch that will allow you to lower/higher the headlamp direction use that. It is normaly located on the dash panel somewhere

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

You may be able to buy them but no one uses them, i personally have never ever seen a LHD vehicle in the UK with them fitted.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

You can buy them on the ferries,  and very poor  advice to say don't bother, and where is the appropriate spot for a bit of tape ? the changeover lever is just a beam flattener,  but you obviously want to do things right so good luck to you.   

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

When this questin has been asked before the replies usually suggest using a bit of tape in the appropriate spot on the headlamps, using the changeover lever if you drive a late, upmarket car, or not bothering at all because no one else does anyway.  Take you pick.