DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Health check before applying for driving licence

Posted by swallows-948755 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

I do not think anyone has made any misleading statements at all.If you want a basic french licence no medical if you want more you need a medical.If you are resident in France you cannot apply for or renew a uk driving licence.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

Fitter absolutely right never been any requirement for a medical at 70 to renew a UK licence, I can speak from experience, it's a pity that people make statements that are clearly untrue and misleading.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by d.browning - 3 years ago

i'm afraid i'd be inclined to agree with reveuse, if the license has expired i'd be surprised if teh french simply exchanged it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by swallows-948755 - 3 years ago

Thank you to everyone for answering my posting.

bensto I would be quite happy with the basic driving licence now.

hailoffame - I will practice standing on one leg in case I have the medical!

reveuse - I do so hope what you are saying is not the case and as you say hopefully someone in a similar position to mine will see this posting and reply.

I live in hope.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Are you sure this is going to work?

You can't exchange an expired UK licence for a French one.

So the prefecture will say you need to get a certificate of entitlement to drive from DVLA, but will DVLA issue one if your entitlement has actually run out?

Hopefully somebody who has done it will come and explain what they had to do.

hailoffame, standing on one leg, really? I can't do that now, and I'm nowhere near 70 yet!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

There is no requirement for a medical when applying for a driving licence in the UK upon reaching the age of 70-never has been.

Once you reach the age of 70 you must renew a UK licence, and self certify your satisfactory medical condition, every three years 

Sorry no image available
Posted by hailoffame - 3 years ago

Hi,

I had my medical at 70,  same eye test, blood pressure, and strange standing on one leg!

Sorry no image available
Posted by bensto - 3 years ago

I applied for a french driving license, and was told that if I wanted to have the UK equivalent  of my license (towing traillers, driving up to 7.5 tonnes) I would need a medical costing 35 euros.... Otherwise I would get the basic license (cars only) for free without the medical I took the medical at an authorised doctor which was very basic,... Eye test, heart and blood pressure and I am 49.  Having said that, I am not sure if your you need one because of your age, as in the UK, which I believe to be that at 70 you need a medical regardless.  The prefecture will advise you when you apply, and give you a list of authorised doctors in your area