DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

help

Posted by kerho-871858 - Created: 2 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Terrence-10054058 - 2 years ago

I once had tuk tuk my best car yet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosie6-400934 - 2 years ago

Hi Pouyepaul is the Mitsubishi Pajero coming up for sale?

Sorry no image available
Posted by plouyepaul - 2 years ago

Forgot to add we also have a 1992 Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun), everything works as it should and it's built like a tank with fuel consuption to match. Pulls a large, heavy trailer or a older (weight) caravan. Not used regularly and always starts on the button. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by plouyepaul - 2 years ago

My preference is for a car built before 2005, VW diesels, POLO, GOLF, PASST etc. We have a 2003 VW Passat estate, no problems to date, regular oil changes and other parts as required which are few but obviously age and mileage, driveing style etc all have an impact. Bought my last 4 cars off fleabay.UK, 1994 Merc 300TD (3ltr D est), 2002 Citroen C5 est, 2 ltr Hdi, 2001 Citroen Synergie, 2ltr Hdi, VW Passat 1.9 tdi estate. Passat purchased 2010, no major dramas and it has done everything I have asked of it, I'm not kind to my car but I do what is necessaty to keep it running.SO my advice to you is buy a 1.9tdi VW of whatever size. Stick to the 90bhp engine, only go for a turbo if you intend using the car regularly, many of them had variable vane turbos which will stick and cost you dear to replace if not used at least once a week for a run of 10kms or more. In this case stick to a GOLF 1.9 sdi or the smaller Polo with the same engine. Have the car serviced (oil and filter change) every 6k miles or 10k kms, If you do very low mileage you need to remember that timing and auxiliary belts, brakes including discs and fluid, coolant and fuel filters etc will all need changing so economy is very much linked to projected mileage and servicing costs, fuel will always be an unknown quantity. If you intend to do higher than average mileage I would go either electric or very old and basic, such cars do exist you just need to research relentlessly until you find the right one. I lost money on only one of the cars from ebay, I ran it for 2 years but really didn't like it, it never lived up to my old XM estate, now there's a car! I made a small profit on the Merc and broke even on the Synergie owned collectively for 5 years. I rest my case - cars are just machines but they're carrying us at speed and people do die every day, so choose wisely, maybe your life is worth protecting and only you can pay for that - it ain't free! It's a complex balancing act between all the criterea but many still end up buying a car they fall in love with despite the voices in their heads screaming NO at them!Good luck in your search and final decision, would be nice to hear what and why you bought something.

Sorry no image available
Posted by oldminiman-10052272 - 2 years ago

i have had my Daihatsu since 1994 and apart from the usual, tyres, batteries, it has cost me very little in repairs.  Now it is ancient with 136,000 miles on the clock and but going strong and is not falling apart.  Not many cars can match that especially "Dagenham dustbins".   The choice depends on the buyer but I would have no worries in buying a Japanesse car, either Toyota, Honda of Daihatsu And I have heard that KIA are very reliable plus the warranty is brilliant.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Huey-407259 - 2 years ago

My local garage (Top Garage) has no trouble getting parts for my Honda (espacially as they last!), and is quite happy to fit any I have obtained instead..

Have a word with your local garage before you buy anything. Its useful to know what they can do.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 2 years ago

Something to bear in mind , it's ok buying your parts from the uk if you can fit them yourself but if you can't then that's not a good idea because most garages will not fit buy yourself parts because they can not give a guarantee.   Another important safety consideration is the NCap results it's worth taking a look and you will see that the cheaper cars have very poor or no accident safety ratings.  Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 2 years ago

I get all my Honda car service  parts from the UK - delivered in 2-3 days from stock and cheaper than the rest of the UK too!

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/

Sorry no image available
Posted by notagain! - 2 years ago

Honda has indeed been repeatedly shown to be the most reliable in a number of different sources and surveys.  In fact Japanese cars (and bikes) are the the best every time although you might have to source your own parts on the net as they are not very popular in France.  Diesel is cheaper and IMHO will remain so (the farmers will never allow the gov to up the price).

Sorry no image available
Posted by notagain! - 2 years ago

Honda has indeed been repeatedly shown to be the most reliable in a number of different sources and surveys.  In fact Japanese cars (and bikes) are the the best every time although you might have to source your own parts on the net as they are not very popular in France.  Diesel is cheaper and IMHO will remain so (the farmers will never allow the gov to up the price).