DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How Long after Moving do I need to register cars?

Posted by HarleyRider58 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

if you have a uk mot with a least 6months left on it then you can use that to register your car, then you go for a ct when the mot expires.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cled - 3 years ago

If permanent residency is France, one month, no need to change licence if its European.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

Simple, you must start the registration within one month, no need to change your licence. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

T-one...there is always one exception but NOT the norme.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Thunderbird one - 3 years ago

La Magdelaine.....If you cant get a CoC get rid of it ??????? utter rubbish.My car is no longer in production and the Manufacturer no longer exists But I was able to register my car here without any problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stevietee - 3 years ago

if you change your licence from english to french,then i think you will find the weight of vechicles is different ie,on an englesh licence you can drive up to 7.5 ton,but not on a french one

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Ray the Bass is correct.  You must begin the process within one month.  The amount of time it takes to complete it is irrelevant.  In some cases where you can hit snags with COC, etc. and have to arrange inspections you can be allowed more than the month.  Proper info is scarce.  Ban advice comes flooding in.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Bandy is correct. You really have one month to complete.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

The 'six month rule' applies to vistors only.

Anyone importing a car is supposed to obtain the 'Quittus Fiscal' within 15 days, which then allows one month to complete the registration.

SORN is not an option as it can only apply to vehicles kept in UK.

You will need to obtain French insurance when you get here and they may well also limit the amount of time allowed.

http://www.nord.gouv.fr/Demarches-administratives/Immatriculation-carte-grise/Immatriculation-d-un-vehicule-acquis-a-l-etranger/Vehicule-d-occasion

You are allowed under EU law to retain your GB licence until the photocard expires and must then obtain a French one.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RAY THE BASS - 3 years ago

By the way, if you declare a vehicle as SORN then it is illegal to use it here in France. Any UK vehicle used here in France must be 100% legal in the UK. 

Regards, Ray.