DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How to get New French Driving licence in exchange for UK

Posted by judithd-412872 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by steverockers-392585 - 4 years ago

Dabbityduck - I think you needed a medical because you did not remove B1 from your application.  With a French licence you need a medical before they will issue you with a licence to drive anything over 3.5 ton or tow a trailer of over (Ithink) 750 kg.  For those of us who are older, this catagory was automatic on a basic uk licence so, to change like for like, you will need a medical - remove it from your application and you won't.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bolt123 - 4 years ago

Is that normal, or is that because of your age. I know they can be difficult sometimes in Vannes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by judithd-412872 - 4 years ago

OK thanks everyone for your comments. I have posted a ton of stuff off to Brest so will post the results when I know.Personally I think it should be more obvious that these new licences have an expiry time on them.Being an 'older' person I was under the impression that I was able to drive until I am 70. I am heartened to see that one of us ex pats managed to drive about for 18 months here without realising,makes me feel slightly better!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 4 years ago

From June this year there will no longer be paper part of licence issued.

If photo card expires then your licence is NO LONGER VALID until renewed.

Old style paper driving licences issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998 will still be valid.

From June if you have a photo card then paper part is no longer valid.

I renewed mine last month and paper part does not even have categories on it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dabbityduck-384379 - 4 years ago

Starngely, anonymous, I am not surprised!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

And I had no problem with St. Brieuc with a photocard that was over 18 months out of date.  Proof that there is not much continuity from office to office.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dabbityduck-384379 - 4 years ago

"Quimper no long do licences you can do it via the post to brest they won't care if it's expired "

They may not care in Brest, but they did in Vannes! Because the photo on my UK licence had expired, I had to have a medical before I could get a French licence. And yes, the paper bit of my UK licence was still valid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Loadsafun - 4 years ago

ItS easy phone dvla and ask for a certificate of entitlement this cost 5 pounds send it off with your application old licences and accompanying paperwork to brest wait for new licence ,p's driving with a expired photo card is illegal and can attract a fine in the UK of 1000 pounds 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 4 years ago

No it's not ambiguous at all. When your UK full driving licence reaches it's expiry date, it's not the entitlement to drive whatever vehicle groups that you are entitiled to drive that expires-it's the photograph that expires. 

I always recommend that everyone downloads and prints off their entitlement to drive from the DVLA website -details here:-

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Just in case somebody somewhere in an office gets things wrong.

Sorry no image available
Posted by judithd-412872 - 4 years ago

For clarity I still have my original green paper UK licence and I also have a pink plastic photo UK european licence.I went on the DVLA phone help and discovered that although the front of the plastic licence has expired the back hasn't (still says 2023) and they advise that you can still drive with the front part expired but it needs replacing ASAP.At Quimper they threw a few forms at us,said we had to go to Brest cos we are foreigners(I live in Quimperle so its a long way) and that we needed a translation done by an expert of the exisiting licence.

Friends have just advised me that they had the same issue and went to Lorient and got their new licence there.

I have to say that the UK licence expiring is all about the photo,but its a bit ambiguous.