DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Insurance for French-registered motorhome

Posted by Kawale - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by hillhead - 3 years ago

Reveuse is correct. A UK resident is not allowed to drive a foreign registered vehicle in the UK. To be precise, the offence is driving without tax and an MOT which could render the vehicle being confiscated.

If stopped it is up to the driver to prove to the police that you are a resident of another country, not for the police to prove you live in the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

stevietee - presumably because if you're a UK resident then you shouldn't be driving foreign-registered vehicles in the UK Just like, if you live in France you shouldn't drive a foreign-registered (eg UK) vehicle in France. EU rules. EU citizens can't drive a foreign-registered vehicle in their state of residence. With a few exceptions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stevietee - 3 years ago

to hillhead,why cant you take your camper to uk,

Sorry no image available
Posted by BURCHY-423214 - 3 years ago

Hi

We insure ours through Credit Agricole with unlimited mileage and no problems at all. Incidentally, I do not know what you are looking for in a Mobile Home or Camping car but we are selling ours soon as it is surplus to requirements having bought a holiday home in Hungary. If you might be interested then please E Mail me and I can send you details. It is a Bavaria A60 on Fiat Ducato chassis with 2.9 JTD engine. 93000 kms and will come fully equipped as we will leave everything in it such as tables and chairs, cooking utensils, microwave, barbie etc etc. Located in Antrain.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chef du gare - 3 years ago

We have insured all  of our motorhomes  so far, with MAAF. (Ploermel)   No problems concerning other vehicles or even UK registration on our first  M/H

CdG

Alternatively Email me for details of my Broker

Sorry no image available
Posted by hillhead - 3 years ago

I insured a camper with Pacifica, the insurance arm of Credit Agricole. I am not a french resident, and this didn't bother them at all. They even took into accout the no claims bonus on my UK registered car, even though the car is insured with a UK company.

Be aware though, that if you are still uk resident you won't be able to take the camper to the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kawale - 3 years ago

Yes we are full time resident. Would you be able to give me the name of your insurer and I will give them a try. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by zaphodbeeblebrox-10039523 - 3 years ago

Well they are telling you Porkies just spoke to my insurer who says its not a problem .. but you haven't said if you are a full time resident here ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kawale - 3 years ago

Oops sorry - we are living in Morbihan, Brittany. Re. the insurance companies, I guess we are not asking nicely enough then - the companies we have tried so far have all told us they are unable to insure us with a camper car as a sole vehicle. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by zaphodbeeblebrox-10039523 - 3 years ago

Might help if you indicated where you live ? Any insurance company will insure a motorhome if you ask them nicely , even as a principle vehicle , Unless of course you are not a full time resident ...