DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Insurance payout after accident

Posted by Weeks-399941 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Weeks-399941 - 3 years ago

No I don't, I like you am often given x rays, but in this instant no mention was made when we left hospital, and to be quite honest we were not in a fit state to even query this, they handed over some papework and we accepted what they gave us at the time.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tarmachead - 3 years ago

Don't you have the xrays etc / whenever I've had an xray I'm given it

Sorry no image available

Thank you, I have a qualified translator coming with me, (at the request of the insurance company) and hopefully all xrays/scans etc will be going with me, at the doctor's request, (subject to the hospital actually sending them on time) I have dealt with the translator before on another matter and she is very efficient and most helpfull, so fingers crossed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AFJP - 3 years ago

As an idea Weeks, if you have your medical rendez-vous this week.  Be sure to take someone with you that is more than competent in French language and more specifically some medico- legal jargon.  Once again, don't sign anything or take the insurance company's doctor's word or opinion that you are" consolidated " ....  As said already, they have doctor's and  avocat's on their books, who are paid by the insurance company - the interest being for your insurance company as well as the adverse party to save costs ...  If you are up to it and/or competent, I would have done some "conclusions" and keep the door open and not have it just sewn up done and dusted. y ou said that you are not very young, so even more reason to really be correctly paid out for eventual prejudices, and fight your corner.  It is also "common practice", if the person at fault wishes to diminish and/decline responsibility to use all kinds of" ploys", and try to make it seem your fault.  Unfortunately i, it is a real fight in the  French legal system to be heard as a victim, and not let the "guilty" party get away with it...  I hope this helps and I remain at your disposition

Sorry no image available

Thank you for your reply, and I will get back to you, this appointment at the doctors has been arranged for a few weeks and I have said I will attend, unfortunately not young any more so probably taking longer to mend physically and mentally.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AFJP - 3 years ago

dear Weeks,

Hmmmm, about being seen to by the insurance companies doctors .... that are paid by the insurance companies.  I did suggest to go via the criminal procedure, more lengthy, but in your interests.  I did email you personally and tell you that the insurance companies have their "conventions" between themselves.  My advice is to battle away at them; don't trust your insurance company either.  I gave you my credentials per mail.  I also said that I HAD worked in a law practice  doing these type of "procedures" , amongst others all the time ...  Ironically, I had a near fatal and life changeing car accident myself last December ....  If it is any consolation, your accident may be a catalyst for better things. Hard, I know when your body is ripped apart by injury, and not to mention the trauma and stress that goes with it.  you will need to be strong to fight away for your rights, but it is important to to have this just swept under the carpet.  you don't mention your age either.  If you are fairly young, your injuries may have effect upon you when you are older.  Ou need to take this into account too.  One of my "prejudices" being that  I also lost my job, my ego took a great knock, but hey ho and well they say no one is indispensable, especially in law firms ...  Don't take anything lightly in car accident litigation in France  ...  It does get "easier", and you will become more philosophical though when you get through the stage of  dealing with your injuries, a sort of complaisance sets in, then the anger stage, why me, then the stage to fight to get your life back on track.  I don't know which stage you are in at the moment ...  I remain at your disposition

Sorry no image available

Thank you to everyone for their advice, we are currently claiming for personal injuries, 3 weeks in hospuital for myself and 1 week for my husband, and have to see a doctor this week re this claim, (doctor appointed by insurance company)  we are taking on board everything that this site has displayed, will update when we have more news.

Sorry no image available

Thank you to everyone for their advice, we are currently claiming for personal injuries, 3 weeks in hospuital for myself and 1 week for my husband, and have to see a doctor this week re this claim, (doctor appointed by insurance company)  we are taking on board everything that this site has displayed, will update when we have more news.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

Hi Weeks,  a couple of things which weren't apparent in your original post , and following on from AFJP's post is that you say you have not, in fact, been offered a hire care.  I think you should insist on one (the fact that you may have a second vehicle is nothing to do with the insurance protection of the damaged vehicle.)  Secondly, if at least one of you had a prolonged stay in hospital don't be rushed into signing the form they will give you to say you have completely recovered from any injury. A shock of that magnitude could have repercussions on your skeleton necessitating further physio/osteopathy.    Just to finish, it will be usual that the payment comes from your side, it is they with whom you are insured, the question is, how they arrange with the other party.  So the 'knock for knock' system saves paperwork for minor bumps, but if one driver is responsible in a serious accident, his insurance bears the full whack, possibly including hospital treatment.  So ask for every bill, keep copies of everything, and if they phone you up tell them to send written exchanges.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

And the problem with my posting is what exactly?.I have pointed out nothing more than is in the policy of every car insurance that they pay out on the market value of the car and as this is RHD then you are going to get less in France than the UK likewise if you drive a LHD in the UK you will get less than a RHD.I have pointed out that the OP should appeal to the ins co if they are not happy-for example one approach could be that the policy did not make clear that they would pay out less for RHD(I would have suggested this earlier if I had known).I have even taken the time to find and link the insurance mediators website and pointed out the obvious that insurance companies have a lot of money and experienced lawyers to bat this sort of stuff away so you need to take the view that you go through the appeals procedure and try and remain detached as difficult as it may seem.We have to work and live in the world we are in not the one we would lke it to be