DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

LHD vehicle lights in a RHD drive country

Posted by Kernana-407546 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by 4seven - 3 years ago

Should be a good trip Mr Frodo.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Huey-407259 - 3 years ago

SH.   They are definitely available, I have a set which from memory I bought from BF.

However did not need them as my driving in dark was on DC's, and dipped beam did not affect oncoming vehicles.

Regret do not know legal position in UK etc, but suspect if you have an accident in dark, and you do not have them your Ins Co. will be most unhappy, and possibly then cancel your Ins. or price you off the market!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tregadilet - 3 years ago

After many years of travel on Brittany ferries or the channel crossings,  I have never seen owners of French L/H cars (or lorries) fitting deflectors to the vehicles to go to UK and as for UK cars going to France (Look and see) there just seems to a perhaps 2-3 cars  fitted with them on a full deck on the ship going to France. Most UK cars here in Brittany dont have them! (Look in local  supermarket car parks to see).

Notwithstanding there may be a problem, it would seem some posters should take up  this matter up with their local MEP.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

Have never seen them for sale and have never seen a LHD vehicle over there with any on ,have been over loads of times ,got pulled up once because I had a headlight out and no one mentioned beam benders.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernana-407546 - 3 years ago

Thankyou for clearing  that up Chemin vert. I have always tried to be a careful and considerate driver following all rules and regs in whichever country I have lived in. And  there have been a few. And as regards Pitstops comment......I am duly corrected, but the whole point of me asking this question was if people out there had had the occasion to visit either the UK or Ireland with a left hand drive vehicle, and what they have been advised, known or otherwise to be  the case when visiting  the aforesaid places with such. For me, it has been approx 33 years since I had occasion to drive in the countries mentioned and have used this forum as a adjunct to what I am pursuing elsewhere as pertains driving over there with a LHD vehicle. As regards your comment of quote "and all this over a 10 euro set of beam benders". I was not aware that the cost of such was that little and will consequently follow up with sourcing such. Many thanks for your input.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chemin vert - 3 years ago

The comment was certainly not aimed in your direction, Kernana. As far as I am aware you are not allowed to use 'beam benders' permanently but they are perfectly acceptable for tourists. There is no law stating that you must pay for expensive commercial stickers when a few carefully applied bits of insulating tape can have the same effect. In my opinion, for what it's worth, your electric adjusters will probably be enough. Beware though, despite many people claiming that their headlamps do not dip towards the nearside they do and without that beam road edges are much harder to judge. Have a good trip, it's a lovely place.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pitstop-401534 - 3 years ago

Lhd headlights do not come flat beam they clearly ramp up to the right , and as for lowering the headlights on your electric switches , that is just for when you have extra weight in the back of the car , eg so you dont blind people , its not so you can ignore the rules , the French left dip beam will still ramp to the right wether it is adjusted up or down on the hieght adjuster

and all this over a 10 euro set of beam benders ,

scarily the major consensus of opinion on this thread is that , " i am alright Jack  "          

I think it says a lot  !

Sorry no image available

Fortunately, I have headlights which are equipped with an electrically controlled system which I would have set on  the lowest setting in any case. My other half had told me of the masking of the headlights thankyou Chemin vert, but thought that that was illegal in any case. However, it is looking like an option.  The selfish drivers jibe? Was that a direct jab?

Sorry no image available
Posted by chemin vert - 3 years ago

Apart from anything it's common sense. Do you enjoy being blinded by oncoming traffic, especially in the wet? Why should others suffer because of selfish drivers. If you have an older vehicle without clear glass lenses it's usually fairly straightforward to mask off the dipped beam with a bit of insulating tape.

Sorry no image available

Ok, so, I will just make a point of not driving at night, and seeing as it will be when it doesn't get dark until very late, I hope I will be ok. Many thanks.