DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Michelin PAX Tyres on Scenic

Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

Hi Seashore, I see what you mean but I don't think Michelin made Spacity Winter tyres and only these will fit on the rims, I'd be back to the same problem if I wanted two sets as it appears standard rims don't fit the car without adaption to the brakes etc. I'm sure it seemed a good idea at the time and runflat tyres probably are if they fit standard rims. The car is 'designed' around these special rims to include pressure sensors on the valves and the ensuing warning lights on the dash!  I've ordered a pair of tyres from Germany and hopefully the garage still has the equipment to fit them...the two on the front of the car aren't too bad so this should get a year or two out of the car once it has a CT again. Michelin did offer to 'compensate' a little but I didn't think it enough considering it's their fault! I can't be bothered to argue but I see they have done in the USA and are getting more help...BMW and Mercedes also took on the Spacity tyre system when it first came out so this probably helps in the States!

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashore-10052757 - 3 years ago

My cars' handbooks state the suitable tyres for each model. The specifications are quite different between the seasons. When I have used winter tyres they have always been fitted to a different set of rims. I was wondering if your handbook suggested non PAX winter tyres as you could use that information to fit summer tyres and rims of the dimensions given. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

This is what Michelin have to say, " It is imposible to fit PAX to non PAX wheels and visa versa. PAX tyres are marked differently to standard tyres on the Senic, ie 195/620 R 420A.

Options for the Scenic include 195/65 R 15 and 205/55 R 16 these are standard tyres on standard wheels and do not have the advantages of the PAX run flat system."

So, you can verify if the above sizes are listed for your model and proceed from there. A scrapyard would be a good place to look for wheels.

It is indeed quite possible that incorrect wheels would foul the brakes, so not an unreasonable comment.

You must also bear in mind that the CT checks for incorrect wheel/tyre sizes, so stick to the options allowed for your model.

Sorry no image available

Hi and thank you for your replies. It is a Renault main dealer who initially quoted for new alloy wheels and tyres but the price was around 1100€ although Michelin offered to pay some of it. The problem was that I would have to pay and then make a claim to Michelin which sounded a little long winded. The garage then offered to find secondhand steel wheels/tyres which is when the brake issue arose...they didn't mention it for the new alloys. I think the solution may be to get a couple of Spacity tyres from Germany, where they are still available in limited quantity, to get the car through the CT...at least I can hopefully get another year or two's use out of it this way. Sorry, didn't quite understand the Winter/Summer tyre comment...I don't change them over...maybe this is something you do where the Winter is colder? And yes, it does have the valve sensors as well...no wonder Michelin have stopped making them, and more anoyingly we've never had a puncture in the 10 or so years we've had it!

Sorry no image available

Hi and thank you for your replies. It is a Renault main dealer who initially quoted for new alloy wheels and tyres but the price was around 1100€ although Michelin offered to pay some of it. The problem was that I would have to pay and then make a claim to Michelin which sounded a little long winded. The garage then offered to find secondhand steel wheels/tyres which is when the brake issue arose...they didn't mention it for the new alloys. I think the solution may be to get a couple of Spacity tyres from Germany, where they are still available in limited quantity, to get the car through the CT...at least I can hopefully get another year or two's use out of it this way. Sorry, didn't quite understand the Winter/Summer tyre comment...I don't change them over...maybe this is something you do where the Winter is colder? And yes, it does have the valve sensors as well...no wonder Michelin have stopped making them, and more anoyingly we've never had a puncture in the 10 or so years we've had it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by seashore-10052757 - 3 years ago

Look in your handbook, what are the specifications for winter tyres, are they also PAX tyres.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryR-385906 - 3 years ago

Unless the wheel studs are in a different position, then you would have to change at least the disks. If the new disks are a different thickness or diameter then you would have to change the calipers too. And the calipers could need a different master cylinder and/or ABS equipment.

So, yes, the brake system could need replacing.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Hilary Briss - 3 years ago

Spax tyres and wheels are a specificaly designed wheel and tyre combination which enable you to run for a short distance and limited speed with a flat tyre.

You cannot fit standard tyres onto the SPAX specific rims due to a difference in the diameter of the inner and outer rim.

You would therefore need new/replacement rims and tyres.

Also if your car is fitted with the tyre pressure sensor that would need addressing as well.

As fore the brakes not working I think the garage are pulling your dangly bits.

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

I had the same problem with my old Kangoo , go to a reputable tyre dealer and they can tell you what you can and cannot use on that vehicle , upto you to find them afterwards ( I ended up changing to bigger discs on my Kangoo)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I think your garage is pulling your chain with the remark about the brakes. 

Is the garage a Renault main dealer? I suggest you get an opinion from the horse's mouth.