DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

New Mot law ..?

Posted by bretonlion - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

Can't you see the links? They are crystal clear if you read the thread properly.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Son Of Fred - 3 years ago

How has this thread become about Tax evasion and residency when it statred off about MOT,s?????

Sorry no image available

I was thinking more of retired people with motor caravans than people who were out to confuse the tax authorities. I'm not sure if it's still true but merchant seamen used to be exempt of tax while at sea. As Bandy points out residency can be determined by your centre of economic activity and that for many people is likely to be where their roots are, not where they are at the moment. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

It does not concern me at all, as I don't fall into these categories, but please be assured that the "authorities" are very fallible. Government is just not "joined up", so despite passports being scanned in and out at border control (in the UK at least), HMRC and their equivalents in other countries haven't a clue who might owe them taxes. France doesn't even have a PAYE system (though they hope to introduce one) - and rely on self declaration for income tax (in arrears). Not everyone is honest, so the income tax take is lower than the Social Charge, indeed the main tax take comes through TVA.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bandy - 3 years ago

There are pretty infallible methods used by the authorities to determine residency - 183 days is just one of the criteria that can come into play. One's centre of economic activity is another.

It is extremely rare for anyone to not fit into the categories determining residency, so AQ need not concern himself on that score.

For most people it is simple - one's residency commences when one moves somewhere intending to stay there.

Sorry no image available

I'm sure some people roam, as you say, for tax reasons, but others have dispersed family and during their retirement they have the time to spend a few months at a time near to members of their family - and not just in Europe. I know someone who spends our winter months near their family in Australia, but also splits his time between France and the UK. Virtually impossible to determine where he is domiciled - for tax or any other reasons. And the amount of time spent in each country varies year by year - might be longest in UK one year, Australia the next and so on. Hardly practical to keep changing your country of residence year by year according to where you spend the most time. Perhaps we need a system for individuals like many companies operate (definatelly for tax reasons), whereby they register the business in the country with the lowest tax regime, whether they trade in that country or not. I'm joking, of course, but the subject does open a whole new can of worms.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Non Dom,most people who flit from place to place do it for tax reasons 

Sorry no image available

I've always presumed that those people who roam Europe without settling in one country for long just retain their normal residency. It's not being out of your home country for more than 183 days that counts, it's being resident in another that matters. Some people worry that the authorities will be able to count the time you spend out of the UK between exit and re-entry but that wouldn't affect residency, you could have been away for a year but not spent more than a few weeks in any one country.

Sorry no image available

Yes I know I have seen this 183 days residency rule, but what happens to those who might spread their time between 3 or more countries - perhaps spending 120 days or so in each ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

Under EU legislation ALL vehichles have to  comply with the laws and be registered in the country of residence of the owner. Residency is the country in which you live for 183 days or more per year.