DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Non french registered vehicle insurance

Posted by Merckx-430083 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 4 years ago

I am a french resident.

When I bought my current car in uk, generali insured it and sent me the vignette. I drove it in the uk for a couple weeks.

I was flashed by a camera apparently , later received a letter to say that I had been flagged up as having no insurance, although I had tax and Mot.

I send them a copy of my french insurance and explained that by the time the letter arrived(at the garage where I had purchased the car) I had returned to france. I had a letter back saying that was fine and no further action.

I subsequently got my quittus fiscal and went to register the car, unfortunately some information had been missed off the log book(actually an input error by the dvla)

The prefecture said that as the car was road legal in uk and as I had started the process, I could continue to drive it so long as it was rectified in a reasonable length of time.

Sorry no image available
Posted by normandyranger - 4 years ago

The insurance companies will also fall back on the small print if you are involved in a big accident where you are required to change the vehicle to french registration that you have signed and agreed to do.

Therefore if they consider it is going to cost them a lot of money you are on your own and if you injure someone you will have to pay all their costs out of your own pocket.

There are also an awful lot of prople running around on SORNs which means that you are not legal in either country.

Sorry no image available
Posted by luap1 - 4 years ago

Merckx,

Something that other posters haven't touched on....

Even if you do manage to get French Insurance on your UK registered vehicle, you will not be able to drive the vehicle in the UK on French Insurance. 

In the UK your car will flag-up on the Police National Computer as uninsured,  the Police  will not accept your French Paper Insurance Certificate / against English plates. 

On the other point that has been  raised concerning all those UK plates driving around, non French registered, no insurance etc...  Maybe that will end as of April 2016 - the UK (DVLA) have now made an agreement as of that date to exchange driver information cross border.   They will only need the name of the vehicle owner when last registered in the UK...you can then be traced in France  via your Taxe Habitation.    Roll on April 2016.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

The EC laws state that if you keep a car at your holiday home it should be registered in that country. I'm not going to get upset about the details as I live in France and all my vehicles are registered here. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 4 years ago

The law is clear and it's not difficult to understand, but there will always be people who chose to ignore the law and make their excuses.  Try as you might, you will not convince them otherwise, nor will their conscience.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 4 years ago

I believe that hill head is absolutely right he quotes the law as it correctly stands, if you just think about it a French resident driving a UK registered car requiring a UK MOT and road tax is illegal, you can not obtain UK road tax with a French address so if you are getting away with it by living here and giving a UK address that's illegal as well.

in France, the law is clear the vehicle must be road legal for the country it is registered in and in which the registered owner is resident, if you are a French resident then your vehicle must be road legal in France that means French registered with CT and French insurance, yes I understand that an insurance company will give time usually a month for a car to be re registered but  after that  it's totally illegal to drive on UK plates and as others have said if you do and are involved in an accident then the consequences could be dire.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

LRV - the EU don't like people registering cars at their holiday homes at all. They used to actually say you can't but I see they've toned it down now - check out 

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/formalities/index_en.htm

Really the EU would do everyone a favour if they butted out and let countries make their own rules.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

Hill head is not completely correct although I believe that they are quoting the spirit of the law. In fact it is perfectly legal for a UK resident to have a car registered in the UK and another car registered at their French holiday home. It is not to do with residency its to do with the car is kept and used.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

People get away with all kinds of things every day - not re-registering their cars, not putting in their income declaration, doing work they're not registered and insured to do, these are the topics that keep cropping up on here but there are hundreds of other things that folk get away with, doesn't make it right it just means that it can be done. You just have to rely on it being your luck holding out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 4 years ago

Hillhead, you are spot on, but no doubt others will disagree in order to justify their breaking of the law!  This topic appears more often than any other and people still argue the point!  Insurance companies are now getting wise to this, more and more of them are giving just one months cover to cars on non-French plates.  If you have a genuine problem with registering your vehicle, they will extend cover one month at a time but you have to prove you are trying and say why you are failing, as we did with our motorhome.