DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Petition against reducing the dual carriageway/motorway limit to 90 kph.

Posted by Fitter - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

Its to reduce to 90kmh where the moterway passes through/near to towns!

Im sure if you lived there you would be for this action!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by lerauf - 3 years ago

Yes Iguana Rock you are right. The other big problem is that most cars are not fitted with indicators.

Sorry no image available
Posted by batlands - 3 years ago

I'm with the missing dog. A lot (most?) towns already have a slower 90 limit on their local motorways. There is an increase of traffic joining and leaving, lane changing etc. makes sense to me from a safety point of view. Slower traffic making less congestion is a fundamental of traffic management, and cutting the emissions a bit from a lot of cars by lowering speed can only help urban pollution. All that is happening is that a Maire can control this without asking national government.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I don't think there is anything to be gained by reducing the speed limit. The reason I say this is because all the bad driving I see has nothing to do with speed. The greatest problem by far is the use of mobile phones as well as total disrespect for other road users. So, changing the speed limit would not change their attitude or driving habits.

Sorry no image available
Posted by la Musique - 3 years ago

I wonder which is more liable to give rise to pollution; cars travelling at 90 kph, or stuck in a jam? I suspect that the urban pollution being complained about is far more likely to arise from the latter situation.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

The Government need to address the speed limit on the country roads, 50km is far too high on a lot of these single track roads and passing through small hamlets. One of the problems on these roads is the increased use of Sat Navs that often direct the traffic off the main roads and through these once quiet country routes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

On any autoroute from St Malo (well from Nantes) to Le Perthus you are out in the country and the only cities are Bordeaux and Toulouse that one drives approx through the city itself and even then, nowhere near the centre and in these cases, the speed limit varies between 90kmh and 110kmh( mostly 90kmh the closer to the "centre"). So going on that particular route, there's not much change then.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Missing Dog Valbonne - 3 years ago

Futter, this is your quote - the government's plans to reduce speed limits on motorways and dual carriageways to 90 kph.

Only thru major towns is what you forgot to disclouse. The way you write it you make it seem like they are going to change the whole road system; not just thru major towns/cities where air pollution prematurly kills 40,000 plus a year.

A better description of what Mrs Royal wants and the benifits - http://www.thelocal.fr/20150805/new-plan-to-cut-speed-limits-on-french-motorways

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

"The OP gives you wrong info or only highlights what he/she wants you to read"

Oh- pardon me I'm sure - please do explain your point.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fredbloggs2 - 3 years ago

What utter rubbish , other countries are looking at raising speed limits