DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Points on licence

Posted by elijah-412755 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 3 years ago

I should have said that at this time points are only applicable in the country where they were applied. There has been discussion about applying them cross border but it has not yet happened.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 3 years ago

In both the UK and France a central index of points added or deducted is kept.

If you are a non UK licence holder in the UK and awarded points the DVLA issues you a theoretical driver number and awards the points to that driver number. This enables people without licences to be subject to "totting". It is how a juvenile car thief for instance gets points before being legally allowed to hold a licence.

The French system is similar albeit points are deducted.

The logic of this system is really obvious when thought about as there are people who drive on a regular basis without being a licence holder of the country they are driving in. As they hold licences from a different country from that  which they offend in, they must be subject to a system capable of eventually disqualifiying them from drivin in the country they have committed offences.

The UK no longer applies points to actual licences at all, the points are only on the theoretical driving record.

Therefore if you have points in the UK or France and you obtain a driving licence in either country, those points are on your driving record.

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

My understanding is that if you get a 3 point penalty in France and you are resident you have to change your license.

I had a couple of French 1 point penalties and one was deducted on my license when I changed to a French one, the other was 4 years before so had fallen off the system.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stumpy2733 - 3 years ago

On a UK licence, you start with zero points. If you attain 12, it's a ban. On a French one, you start with 12, and have points deducted (as said) down to zero. Eighteen months ago, I swapped back from French to UK licence. I had had 3 points deducted on my French licence. I rang the DVLA and asked, they said that there was no reciprocal agreement between the two countries with regard to points, therefore l got a clean UK licence. I know this does not definitively answer your question, but assuming no agreement has been made in the last 18 months, I think it is highly unlikely they will be transferred. A call to DVLA would clarify it. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by elijah-412755 - 3 years ago

Thanks for your help on this matter it has clarified things for me 

regards to all

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Sorry I totally misunderstood, I thought you meant you had speeding points on your UK licence and you were asking if they would be transferred to your French licence.

If they want to do the points penalty, they tell you to change to a French licence. If they didn't make an issue of it at the time I doubt they'll have bothered logging the points anywhere, and in any case as said you get them back quite quickly as long as you don't re-offend.

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 3 years ago

Ii is unlikely the decducted points will show. There is is a shelf life for deducted points. I lost a couple for going through a speed trap, but they were reintated within 6 months

Sorry no image available

Hi thanks for your response just to clarify the situation if I received my new French license would the points be deducted even though the fines were paid and are a couple of years old sort of like a retrospective penalty  thanks

Sorry no image available

Hi thanks for your response just to clarify the situation if I received my new French license would the points be deducted even though the fines were paid and are a couple of years old sort of like a retrospective penalty  thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Are they? I honestly didn't think they were.