DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Prefecture for vehicle registration in Morbihan

Posted by Rudge - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by salsachica - 3 years ago

We had the same problem re no cheque book as we had to wait 6 months before the bank would issue 1! Anyhow at the sous prefecture the lady filled in a docket for me to take to the local finance office which was only 5 mins away. There I paid in cash and returned with the stamped receipt to the sous prefecture. They would have taken a debit card payment as well but I had the cash so suited me. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Thanks for info  a horse with no name  - sadly I do not have a  chequebook for my French bank account, so it looks like a bus or other transport to Vannes anyway .

Sorry no image available
Posted by A Name With No Horse - 3 years ago

Hello Rudge,

Yes, Pontivy should be OK for immatriculation. I re-registered one of my cars at Pontivy SP recently.

Check very carefully their opening hours (note that it's closed on wednesdays), get there in good time and ensure you take everything with you including the kitchen sink to avoid having to go back there again.

Here's a link to their opening times :

http://www.morbihan.gouv.fr/Outils/Horaires-et-coordonnees/Sous-prefecture-de-Pontivy

It's also essential to bear in mind that they only accept cheques for any payment, not card and definitely not cash.

I had to re-register a car because the Carte Grise was in my wife's name and she sadly deceased last year. It meant changing the Carte Grise, which cost all of 2 Eur 50, but they would ONLY accept a cheque ! So if you forget your cheque book it means coming back and queuing yet again. Incidentally, the change in carte grise meant I had to fit new numberplates as well. Beauracracy is alive and well in France !

And take a good book to read as there can sometimes be a lot of people waiting in the very stifling corridor (why does everyone else seem to have a horrible cold when I go there?)

Good luck, I hope this has been useful !

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

Think of it as 30 miles each way, it's not nearly so daunting

Sorry no image available
Posted by salsachica - 3 years ago

Are you far from Carhaix as they definitely do it there as I got mine done there less than a year ago and I also know other people who have gone and got theirs done there this year and certainly in the last few months. If that's any use to you let me know and I'll message you the details.

According to the official website, the Pontivy Sous prefecture does carry out the checking and forwarding of the paperwork for the carte gris: http://www.morbihan.gouv.fr/Outils/Horaires-et-coordonnees/Sous-prefecture-de-Pontivy

Opening hours are mornings only for carte gris: 8.30am - 12.pm

Guichets // Accueils : 7 rue du Tribunal - 56300 Pontivy immatriculations (ex cartes grises) et permis de conduire 
(vous pouvez y déposer votre dossier qui sera transmis au service compétent à la préfecture de Vannes)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jdkane3 - 3 years ago

I went to the Carta plac in September to change ownership of a car bought privately. There are some postings of the requirements online, but the whole process took 30 minutes, including installing the plates (tools provided by the carta plac) . Paperwork is basically

1 the carte gris, suitably marked by the previous owner,

2 the cecession form signed by the previous owner (information to fill it in is on the carte gris)

3 the dvla equivalent transfer form for the vehicle which you can pick up from carta plac or download

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Yes, I have looked online , the initial registration to French appears to be only possible with a visit  to Vannes or Lorient , a 100Km round trip . I had heard mention the paperwork could be placed ito the sous -prefecture in Pontivy , they would look at it , and then forward it to Vannes ? 

Perhaps this is no longer the case, hence my initial enquiry !

As usual , the systems penalises rural living, it appears we now have to travel to the major centres, to do many things , post options not possible . And before someone jumps on their high horse and says , if you don't like it go back to UK ' ..........if we all did that in our rural retreats here the local economy would be in dire trrouble ... closed shops, bars , and services . I am happy to go along with what is needed , I just want to the easiest option since I  live in reasonable access  of Pontivy.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I suspect that the OP was trying to register a vehicle for the first time in France - you can't do that online.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

You could also use a company such as cartaplac if you do not wish to travel-look for signs "carte grise agrée" Obviously you will pay for this but you save on fuel parking etc

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

We always go to Vannes and do it face to face - you are more likely to get away with a small error there as they seem reasonably helpful, I wouldn't bother going to Pontivy, they only send the paperwork on to Vannes anyway.